Question about map() 'topography'

Tell us what’s happening:

I just want to be clear on what’s what in .map() here.

watchList is the array the method is called on.
"Title" and "imdbRating" are the index being called on.
"title" and "rating" are the elements being called on.

Am I off on one of these?

Thanks as always
Nick

Your code so far

WARNING

The challenge seed code and/or your solution exceeded the maximum length we can port over from the challenge.

You will need to take an additional step here so the code you wrote presents in an easy to read format.

Please copy/paste all the editor code showing in the challenge from where you just linked.

const ratings = watchList.map(({Title: title, imdbRating: rating})=>({title, rating}));

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.110 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Use the map Method to Extract Data from an Array

Link to the challenge:

I don’t understand what this means?

This callback function uses argument destructuring. The map iterates over an array, making new elements for a new arry out of the old elements. The destructuring takes the Title and imdbRating properties of the old elements, and the callback function makes a new object with just these properties.

If you aren’t very comfortable with destructuring, I recommend you try to do this exercise without using destructuring. I’m surprised you wrote this solution without understanding destructuring.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.