React and Redux: Extract State Logic to Redux

React and Redux: Extract State Logic to Redux

I am working on the React and Redux challenges. On the third challenge ‘extract state logic to redux’ I am stuck. I realize it is just basic redux but I am not able to solve it. My code is as follows:

// define ADD, addMessage(), messageReducer(), and store here:
const ADD = 'ADD';
const defaultState = {
};

function addMessage(msg) {
  return {
    type: ADD,
  };
};

const messageReducer = (state = defaultState, action) => {
  switch (action.type) {
    case ADD:
      var newState = {
      };
      console.log(newState);
      return newState;
      break;
    default:
      return state
  };

};

const store = Redux.createStore(messageReducer);

I am failing on the ‘The store should exist and have an initial state set to an empty array.’ and ‘Dispatching addMessage against the store should immutably add a new message to the array of messages held in state.’ tests. I added a lot of console logs not shown here and I can clearly see that when the tests are run the state object is updated with the new message in the messages array. Any hints will be showered with thank yous.

Hi biko-the-bird,

The 1st challenge is: “The initial state should equal an empty array”. In your code the initial state is set to an object and both methods return objects.

I’m guessing you’re failing test 4 and 6. Can you confirm this?

Hi pwkrz,
I was failing tests 4 and 5. 6 passes. You were correct though my issue was solved by returning an array instead of a object. Thank you very much for responding so promptly

You state in Reducer should be set to defaultState.messages so your state is empty array. And in case of ADD write return […state, action.message]. I hope this will help you.