className="formPannel-container"
          style={{ width: `${this.state.styles.width}px` }}
        />
      </div>
    );
  }
}

export default NavBtn;

why doesn’t my setState not set a new state with this code above. It’s not accessing plus changing it and I don’t know why.

Thank you!

Silas

React does not play well with nested objects. It does not recognize when nested properties change. To get around this, you can do something like the following or rethink how you could use non-nested Objects for state.

handleClick = () => {
    this.setState(oldState => {
      const styles = { ...oldState.styles };
      styles.width += 100;
      return { styles, }
   });
  };

or a more condensed version:

handleClick = () => {
    this.setState(({ styles }) => ({ styles: { width: styles.width += 100, } }));
  };
1 Like

Thanks for getting back with me. That’s really strange that it does’t play well with nested objects. Maybe to keep the state as simple as possible? Anyways, thanks for helping me solve my problem and future problems!

Also, do you know any great resources that teaches JS promises for beginners like me? And also Redux with React?

Silas

1 Like

Not sure about Promises as I’m looking for good resources for that topic as well.

For React + Redux though, have you tried reading the quick start section of the react-redux documentation here? There’s a tutorial as well.

Awesome! I’ve been looking and I didn’t even come across this. Thank you for sharing! I’ll let you know if I find anything on promises.

Thank you for the help!

Silas

1 Like

Glad to help!

And yeah, if you’re interested in more discussion regarding nested states in React, you can read this StackOverflow thread.

Have fun learning.

1 Like