Recursion Basic Question

Hi Everyone I am working through the book Eloquent JavaScript right now. Kind of embarrassed to ask this but how is this function actually working:

function power(base, exponent){
  if(exponent===0){
    return 1;
  } else{
    console.log(exponent)
   return base * power(base,exponent-1);

}

}
console.log(power(2,3))

I understand that 2 to the power of 3 is 8. I understand that the exponent goes down by one until it hits 0 but what exactly is base multiplying to get the answer in this function.

Thanks in advance for looking into this!

any number raised to the power of 0 is 1
so this function will multiple the base as many times as it takes to get the exponent down to 0 (at which point it will return 1 which is the final piece of the puzzle)

eg.

power(2, 3) will execute the else part of the if
  2 * power(2, 2) which will execute the else part of the if
    2 * power(2, 1) which will execute the else part of the if
      2 * power(2, 0) which will return 1

The 1 gets returns back so the multiplication runs in reverse of what I wrote above

2 * 2 * 2 * 1

Okay so it multiples 2 * 2 * 2 times but when does it switch over to 1. I’m lost as to how we would know what its multiplying here.

Here’s how I explained it before

power(2, 3) will execute the else part of the if
  2 * power(2, 2) which will execute the else part of the if
    2 * power(2, 1) which will execute the else part of the if
      2 * power(2, 0) which will return 1

Notice the last line??

Again sorry for this but what number is it multiplying?
Is the base value multiplying itself all the way down to 0 or is multiplying the exponent value. Thats what I don’t understand. How do we know which its multiplying.

The last call to power(2,0) returns 1

So the final multiplication is 2*2*2*1

Try adding the following changes and console.log to see how the returned value is changing

Unfortunately this does not help, I’ll re-read the chapter and try and digest this. Everything else makes sense except for this . No one has been able to tell me outright what is being mutiplyed in the return statement.

Is it base * base or base * exponent until it returns 1.

it is always base that is being multiplied…
exponent just tells you how many times to multiply.

for eg. 3^4 is 3 * 3 * 3 * 3 * 1 in this case

Okay, I think by thinking about it and your last explanation, I is was able to understand how it moves within the function.

It goes 3 *3 = 9 then it would be 9 *3 = 27 , 27 * 3 = 81, 81 *1= 81.

Its constantly calling that function until it arrives at zero where it returns 1 for the last time and exits.

Thank you for your patience with me.

You almost got it but the order is actually

3 * (1)
3 * (3 * (1))
3 * (3 * (3 * (1)))

Etc.

The inner bracket represents the very last call which actually returns -first- chronologically speaking.

Edit:
If you try the logs I suggested you will noticed the order of the log print outs is:
“exponent is 0 so returning 1 now”

“exponent is 1 v is 2”

“exponent is 2 v is 4”

“exponent is 3 v is 8”

so the first thing logged happens when exponent is 0 …
(because that happens first chronologically)