Removing whitespaces at start and end of a string

Tell us what’s happening:
Why is this regex not able to select a string with whitespaces at beginning and the end and then replace it with the middle string only(without the extreme spaces)?

Your code so far

let hello = "   Hello, World!  ";//string with spaces at start and end
let wsRegex = /^\s*(.+)\s*$/; // regex to select a string (.+) with spaces at beginning and end
let result = hello.replace(wsRegex, "$1"); // replacing the selected text with the string enclosed between the spaces
console.log(result); //it does log "Hello, World!" as expected but test-run gives the error <error>result should equal to "Hello, World!"</error>

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.141 Safari/537.36 Edg/87.0.664.75.

Challenge: Remove Whitespace from Start and End

Link to the challenge:

PS: The regex to select only the spaces at start and end , /^\s+|\s+$/g works perfectly well and they can be replaced with “” to remove them. But, the above question still stands^^^

if you use result.length you will see that its 15 in length when it should be 12 so it shows your code is not working properly.

Yes! Logging the result variable to the console wrapped in quotes

console.log("${result}"); gives "Hello, World! ".

Apparently, it removes only trims the whitespaces at the beginning and leaves the end-spaces unaltered. Still can’t figure out why though!

You can try your regex at https:regex101.com and select ECMAScript

hey @e_t

sorry mate i just thought you cant use variable in normal regex
actually you might be able to in replace?

you probably need to use lazy matching here, as in .+?

@ieahleen I think it ought to be the default greedy matching since we’re supposed to match the entire string wrapped by whitespaces. Using lazy matching would cause to the search to terminate at the middle space between “Hello” and “World!”, right? But, even the greedy matching doesn’t seem to work here. I just can’t figure out why though?

\s*(.+)\s* is “0 or more spaces, followed by one or more of any character, followed by 0 or more spaces”. You match a few spaces at the start, then the (.+) matches the rest.

Edit: look

"   Hello, World!  "
^|_||_____________|$

Start of string
3 spaces (“zero or more spaces”)
Any characters (“one or more of any character”)
No spaces (so, nothing to match, “zero or more spaces”)
End of string

no, it wouldn’t because you are saying that the string ends with spaces, and the capturing of those spaces is greedy

try it, and use console.log(hello.match(regex)) to see, the second element in the array is what is captured by the group

SOLVED!!!

let hello = " Hello, World! ";
let wsRegex = /^(\s*)(.+[^\s*$])(\s*)$/;
let result = hello.replace(wsRegex, "$2");
console.log(result);

This regex /^(\s*)(.+[^\s*$])(\s*)$/ works for this problem.
These are the matching groups in our expression:
1 ^(\s)* match any number of white spaces at the start
2 (.+[^\s*$]$ match any number of characters excluding the spaces at the end
3 (\s*)$ match all the trailing spaces
So, clearly we want to retain only the part matching the second matching group. Thus, we replace the entire string with the text selected by the second group as shown

let result = hello.replace(wsRegex, "$2");

The problem with the initial regex /^\s*(.+)\s*/ was that (.+) part was including the trailing spaces too because the wildcard character includes whitespaces too.
Please let me know if I my line of thinking is correct or not.

Yes, thank you very much for the explanation. I didn’t realize that the wildcard character would include whitespaces too … I replaced the capturing group (.+) by (.+[^\s*$]) to exclude the trailing spaces from being captured by it. Now, it works well!

this is not doing what you want, you are saying to match something that is not a space, an asterisk or dollar sign - if you have doubts, a tool like regex101.com is essential

the lazy matching I suggested works, but if you want to do it like this, it is (.+[^\s])

what this is doing is saying that the character after .+ must not be a space, so .+ matches until “Worl” and the “d” is taken by [^\s]

Yes, this matching group works pretty nicely. Thanks for pointing out the redundancy of * and in (.+[^\s*]).
About the lazy mode matching that you suggested, it works but I can’t comprehend how it works…
/^\s*(.+?)\s*$/
The group (.+?) would capture all characters except for line terminators. So wouldn’t it include the trailing spaces at the end of the string? Or would it capture the MINIMUM possible characters that it matches with? Would it be right to say that, if \s* had not been at the end, it would match with the entire string along with the ending whitespaces? So technically, in the lazy mode, the capturing group would bear the least possible burden, i.e; capture the smallest string possible?(hence, the name “lazy”)

it matches the least amount possible of characters

no, in that case the least amount of characters is just H - try and see

I meant the entire regular expression(including ^ and $) without the ending \s*. The presence of \s* at the end causes the (.+?) to match the “Hello, World!” part only???
I’m really sorry but this is my first time with regular expressions. Thank you very much for all the help!

in this case you have put $ so the only way to match something is to match till the end, so even if it is lazy matching it will match everything

1 Like