Returning a boolean (changing its value) - issue

Hi i am having an issue changing the three variables back to false. What am i missing? It seems like i’ve missed something elementary out regarding booleans and the altering of their values?

if (eye == true || mouth == true || nose == true ) {
eye = false && nose = false && mouth = false }

thanks

function countSmileys(arr) {
  let smileycounter = 0;
  let eye = false;
  let nose = false;
  let mouth = false;

for (let i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
    var subArray = arr[i];
    for (let j = 0; j < subArray.length; j++) {
      if (subArray[j] === ":" || subArray[j] === ";") {
        eye = true;
      }
      if (subArray[j] === "-" || subArray[j] === "~") {
        nose = true;
      }
      if (subArray[j] === ")" || subArray[j] === "D") {
        mouth = true;
      }
    }
    if (eye === true && mouth === true) {
      smileycounter++;
    }
  eye = false && nose = false && mouth = false }

}
  return smileycounter;
}

countSmileys([":)", ":(", ":D", ":O", ":;"]);

Take another look at what you have in the inside the if statement, I think I know what you are trying to accomplish… but what would a=a && b=b return? true or false ?

at the end of the nested loop sequence i want to reset eyes, nose, and mouth to false (to clarify)

I try to run it like this with the strict equality but it doesn’t change nose,eye and mouth to false. This is why i tried changing it to =.

a=a and b=b is true?

eye === false && nose === false && mouth === false }

… It’s one of those things when you see it, it’ll click… you are close…

eye = false is correct for what you want, this sets eye to false

eye === false && nose === false is either True or False

eye = false && nose = false is ALWAYS false because you changed eye to false and the code will stop (since it found false)

|| & && are operators, so This OR This … or … This AND this … resulting in True/False …

`eye = false && nose = false`  is ALWAYS false because you changed eye to  `false`  and the code will stop (since it found  `false` )

`||`  &  `&&`  are operators, so This OR This … or … This AND this … resulting in True/False …

oh so operators || & && only look for the first value and then return true/false based on the first answer. didn’t know.

i removed the && and it finally worked :slight_smile:

Good work! … and yes in general operators || & && are looking going to give a true/false, so they are good to use inside of the if( ) , and it will stop once it gets a false. So if there were a million things to check, it could stop once it found the first false… instead of running through all 3 for a total of 3 millions times every time.

The only other minor thing I’d note that is that you can just use the variable name for “truthiness”

is the same as:
if (eye || mouth || nose ) { ...

Happy Coding :slight_smile:

1 Like