Scientific Computing with Python Projects - Arithmetic Formatter

I’ve written a code that seemingly returns the desired outcome but it only manages to pass the error tests (the ones where the operator is wrong, or there aren’t only digits, etc) although as far as I know the output should be what is demanded by the test.

This is the project’s replit link: Devfile for my arithmetic formatter thing - Replit

Your code so far

def addingprotocol(comps):
  try:
    comps0int = int(comps[0])
    comps2int = int(comps[2])
    oplist.append(str(comps[1].strip()))
    result = comps0int + comps2int
    if len(comps[0].strip()) > len(comps[2].strip()) :
      longestvar = len(comps[0].strip())
    elif len(comps[0].strip()) < len(comps[2].strip()):
      longestvar = len(comps[2].strip())
    else:
      longestvar = len(comps[0].strip())
    tmpdashbarlength = longestvar + 2
    dashbarlengths.append(tmpdashbarlength)
    spclen1 = tmpdashbarlength - len(str(comps[0]))
    var1f = spacebar[0:spclen1] + str(comps[0])
    var1list.append(var1f)
    spclen2 = tmpdashbarlength - len(str(comps[2]))
    var2f = comps[1].strip() + spacebar[0:(spclen2-1)] + str(comps[2])
    var2list.append(var2f)
    spclen3 = tmpdashbarlength - len(str(result))
    res3f = spacebar[0:(spclen3)] + str(result)
    resultlist.append(res3f)
    dashbarlists.append(dashbar[0:tmpdashbarlength])

  except:
    return("Error: Numbers must only contain digits.")

def substractprotocol(comps):
  try:
    comps0int = int(comps[0])
    comps2int = int(comps[2])
    oplist.append(str(comps[1].strip()))
    result = comps0int - comps2int
    if len(comps[0].strip()) > len(comps[2].strip()) :
      longestvar = len(comps[0].strip())
    elif len(comps[0].strip()) < len(comps[2].strip()):
      longestvar = len(comps[2].strip())
    else:
      longestvar = len(comps[0].strip())
    tmpdashbarlength = longestvar + 2
    dashbarlengths.append(tmpdashbarlength)
    spclen1 = tmpdashbarlength - len(str(comps[0]))
    var1f = spacebar[0:spclen1] + str(comps[0])
    var1list.append(var1f)
    spclen2 = tmpdashbarlength - len(str(comps[2]))
    var2f = comps[1].strip() + spacebar[0:(spclen2-1)] + str(comps[2])
    var2list.append(var2f)
    spclen3 = tmpdashbarlength - len(str(result))
    res3f = spacebar[0:(spclen3)] + str(result)
    resultlist.append(res3f)
    dashbarlists.append(dashbar[0:tmpdashbarlength])
  except:
    return("Error: Numbers must only contain digits.")
  

resultlist = []
var1list = []
var2list = []
oplist = []
errorstatus = 0
dashbarlengths = []
dashbar = "------"
dashbarlists = []
spacebar = "      "
space4bar = "    "

def finalconcatenationT():
  line1 = " "
  line2 = " "
  line3 = " "
  line4 = " "
  for number in range(len(var1list)) :
    if number < len(var1list):
      line1 = line1 + var1list[number] + space4bar
      line2 = line2 + var2list[number] + space4bar
      line3 = line3 + dashbarlists[number] + space4bar
      line4 = line4 + resultlist[number] + space4bar
    else:
      line1 = line1 + var1list[number]
      line2 = line2 + var2list[number]
      line3 = line3 + dashbarlists[number]
      line4 = line4 + resultlist[number]
  global finalline
  finalline = line1 + "\n" + line2 + "\n" + line3 + "\n" + line4
  return finalline
  
def finalconcatenationF():
  line1 = " "
  line2 = " "
  line3 = " "
  line4 = " "
  for number in range(len(var1list)) :
    if number < len(var1list):
      line1 = line1 + var1list[number] + space4bar
      line2 = line2 + var2list[number] + space4bar
      line3 = line3 + dashbarlists[number] + space4bar
      line4 = line4 + resultlist[number] + space4bar
    else:
      line1 = line1 + var1list[number]
      line2 = line2 + var2list[number]
      line3 = line3 + dashbarlists[number]
      line4 = line4 + resultlist[number]
  global finalline
  finalline = line1 + "\n" + line2 + "\n" + line3
  return finalline

def arithmetic_arranger(problems, truecond=None):
  global errorstatus
  finalline = ""
  for problem in problems:
    if len(problems) > 5:
      return("Error: Too many problems.")
      errorstatus = 1
      break
    comps = problem.split()
    if len(comps[0]) < 5 and len(comps[2]) < 5 :
      if comps[1] == "+":
        addingprotocol(comps)
      elif comps[1] == "-":
        substractprotocol(comps)
      else:
        return("Error: Operator must be '+' or '-'.")
        errorstatus = errorstatus + 1
    else:
      return("Error: Numbers cannot be more than four digits.")
      errorstatus = 1
    try:
      test1 = int(comps[0])
      test2 = int(comps[2])
    except:
      return("Error: Numbers must only contain digits.")
  if errorstatus == 0 and truecond == True: 
    finalconcatenationT()
  elif errorstatus == 0 and truecond != True:
    finalconcatenationF()
  else:
    return("Looks like this blew up. Woops!")

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/110.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Scientific Computing with Python Projects - Arithmetic Formatter

Link to the challenge:

That’s weird, I did have it running before but it seems you are right, I must’ve messed up something and didn’t notice, thank you for the input!

Yes, I am aware, I accidentally deleted those but whenever I have to test I use a replit with the tests intact and paste my code there.
As for the code, I patched it and it seems I had white spaces before the linebreaks that I did not notice until further examination of the testing result + the original issue you pointed out, so the issue is resolved, thank you for the feedback.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.