Should I give up Coding? Already wasted 8 months with no result

Hi, I need some suggestions to make a decision. I started learning web development in June last year and spent a good amount of money on courses. Despite having a full-time job, I dedicated at least 3-4 hours daily to attend classes and practice. However, after almost a year, I feel like I haven’t learned much. I can barely make a simple calculator in JavaScript, let alone a backend project. I struggled with academics in school and college, barely passing. Web development seems to be similar. I understand basic JavaScript concepts but forget when I try backend. It’s becoming too difficult for me.

So, I need advice. I’ve already invested significant time and money, and I’m not sure if keeping up with coding is the right path. Should I consider learning UI/UX design, digital marketing, or something less technical?

Hello @AshrafulAlam
As we can see, you are a bit confused between UI/UX design and coding career. See, no career is good or bad until you shown interest in it. So, we would like to know what is your interest?
Below we have shared a detailed guidance about how can you proceed further in both career?

For Coding

• Evaluate your aptitude: Do you have a knack for logical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail? These skills are essential for coding, but don’t be discouraged if you’re new to them – perseverance and practice are key!

• Consider popular options: Python, Java, JavaScript, C++, and C# are widely used and versatile, but the best choice depends on your goals. Python is beginner-friendly for web development, data science, and automation.

• Interactive online courses: E-learing platforms like offer structured learning paths with interactive exercises, quizzes, and projects.

• Bootcamps and coding schools: For a more immersive and accelerated learning experience, consider intensive bootcamps that combine structured lessons, projects, and career guidance.

For UI/UX Design

• Front-End Development: Focus on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript : These are the fundamental languages for building interactive user interfaces. Mastering them allows you to prototype designs, understand development constraints.

• Responsive Design: Understand how to adapt UIs for different screen sizes and devices (desktop, mobile, tablets). Frameworks like Bootstrap can aid in this process.

• UI/UX Libraries: Explore different UI/UX libraries for pre-built UI components that save time and ensure consistency.

• Attend UI/UX Conferences and Meetups: Network with other UI/UX professionals and learn about the latest trends in the field.

Now, just check, which approach suits you better! Hope it resolved your issue.

2 Likes

Hi Miles, thanks a lot for your suggestion. I’ve spent a huge amount of time deciding which path to take. After spending almost a year in coding, I’ve found out that I’m really weak in complex problem-solving as I was always weak in math in academics. That’s why I decided to go into UI Design. And may be in front-end development after some time when I get more experienced. Is this plan good or should I stick with programming?

1 Like

Hi, @AshrafulAlam ! I hope you are doing well.

I empathize with you struggles and I’m sorry you are having such a hard time. UX/UI design have a strong, well, design component to them. I wouldn’t call them artistic per se, but there is a level of creativity and you need to be aware of other things, like marketing and stuff like that.

To work as a frontend developer you must be able create pages with CSS and it’s frameworks, not create the design itself. The language of the web is JavaScript, so that’s the one you should learn. Also, you need to learn a JavaScript framework (reach and angular are the ones that come to mind). It’s good to able to create basic server applications with NodeJS, for example. As a frontend is not someone that only creates the visuals or simple user interactions.

With that being said, it’s important to focus on the JavaScript/framework parts. Watching videos and attending classes is good, but doing some simple applications by yourself is what really teaches you. It’s hard to get out of the “tutorial” phase, but it’s possible!

I’m saying this because you’ve mentioned working with backend and that’s not something I would recommend, unless you wanna work with it. Focus and specialization are the key here.

Having logical thinking and being able to solve problems are qualities you need and although mathematical knowledge can help, it’s not necessary! I see lot’s of developers that are working and have very few math skills.

You mentioned you are on your journey for 8 months now, right? Tell me something, how were you studying javascript exactly.?

1 Like

Yes, now you are on the right path. All the best!

1 Like

Can you share projects you built in last 8 months ( GitHub link will be useful to review ) ?

Did you enjoy coding in last 8 months or felt like hell ?

I know many people in IT ( in India ) who are doing job as they have multiple EMI to pay for next X years and nothing else they can do to fetch high salary end of each month.

Until and unless you love your work and job; you won’t succeed and feel like hell each day.

1 Like

Actually, I enrolled in a full Stack Development Course, They taught ASP Net Core with React as frontend. It was too difficult for me as I had very little knowledge of coding. I couldn’t keep up with their pace. So I dropped out of it and then tried various online courses. But I always get stuck after HTML/CSS, even javascript feels tough to me. Then I tried UI design, Python, WordPress etc. And feel like I should get into design related field as coding is not my thing.

Here’s my GitHub. It doesn’t have that many projects. I was enrolled in a Course, ASP Net Core with React. We were taught GitHub very late in the course, and at that point, I was already a little bit frustrated. Our main focus was ASP net core, and for the first few months, I couldn’t even set up the .net files, I have atl least 50 unfinished ASP net projects on my pc. And if I am honest, I didn’t enjoy coding that much. I liked working with visual tools rather than some complex functions or methods.

To be frank, you have went through “tutorial / training hell” for last 8+ months.

I suggest below path if you wish to be Frontend Developer

1. Learn HTML and CSS ( refer to YT videos, there are many great once out there & free as well )

2. Build projects ( refer to frontend mentor website )

3. Repeat above steps for JS and React.

For now forget about backend, instead concentrate on front end and falling in love with coding.

If you’re not enjoying solving problems with help of coding then IT job is not for you.

1 Like

There are lots of different types of jobs available in IT industry, do research through YT videos.

If you wish to be a developer then refer to my last answer and re-start.

1 Like

No one can answer this but you, and I would take the suggestions of those who try to answer with a grain of salt. We can tell you the benefits of both sides, and maybe offer advice based on personal experience. However, this choice should be 100% yours. We cant say what the best path for you is because we are not you. If you choose to go one way because someone says “do this and this then you will be good” that person will in no way be affected if you succeed or fail. It’s not their future, its yours and you need to very carefully make this decision. There is no guaranteed road map in either direction and anything could happen. May not be what you want to hear, but its what you need to hear. Dont just ask us, you can find other professionals on LinkedIn and ask them, ask other forums. If you think UI is what you want to do then try it for a little while and see what you think. 8 months is still not a lot of time to get all of this down. Remember, if you’re not going to school for either path your competition is people who have been studying this for 4 years. If you’re weak in an area then make yourself stronger by focusing on that area

1 Like

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions! I know this post might have come across as attention-seeking, but I genuinely felt lost. One day I’d be trying a digital marketing course, and the next, I’d be jumping to Python full stack. After dropping out of the bootcamp, I was frustrated and became afraid to commit to anything new. However I think will stick to a single path (UI design) now and dedicate at least six months to it. Again, thanks a lot to all of you for your invaluable advice!