Should I include that I have a speech problem in my CV?

Are they going to notice immediately when you talk on the phone?

Yes they will. It’s noticeable

Can you still communicate and be understood when talking?

Face to face, absolutely

A phone interview takes quite some time, so it’s pretty common to first contact you via email to set the interview. A call from the cold is quite rare, except for big big companies.

I think your best bet would be to give all your contact info including phone number so it doesn’t feel like your hiding anything, then wait for them to contact you via mai to set the the interview, and answer that you’d prefer a personal interview explaining your speech impediments there

Honestly it’s your call and how you feel about it. I choose to tell them whenever I feel comfortable. Interview, job offer, whatever. If you didn’t know, having a disability is a bargaining chip. Companies get tax incentives if they employ someone with a disability. So if they don’t hire you because of your disability, you probably don’t want to work there anyway.

If I was you I would wait right up until you actually have to talk to someone, then shoot them an email prior to a phone call or whatever. You can communicate with others, so there’s really no issue. Well, maybe if your job was an on-the-phone all day, maybe. Like telemarketing.

I would not worry yourself at all. People with disabilities tend to be harder workers IMO.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

You’re right about how job hunting works, but the part where the employer “gives you a call” seems to be email more often than telephone these days. i’ve been out of the job market for almost 10 years, and 10 years ago in the chemical industry, it was almost all telephone. Since I’ve been looking for coding jobs lately, everyone seems to love email (or even texting over phone or things like LinkedIn), and I think you won’t have to talk on the phone quite as often as you expect, except maybe you’re specifically looking for jobs that are a long distance from you.

If you’re in the U.S.:

I am disabled too, and I’ve done some research on how to handle the job search in the U.S. First and foremost: you do NOT have to disclose that you are disabled or what your disability is during the hiring process. When they’d like to screen or interview you, you have a right to request accommodations, and you can think about what those would be: Do you NEED an in-person interview, or would a webcam be okay? When it comes time to schedule the interview, you’ll have to request specific accommodations (like in-person only, in-person or webcam, allowing a communication assistant of your choosing to be present), and you can say “because i have a disability,” if you don’t want to say “because i have a speech problem.”

Regarding the initial phone calls in the interim, if they’re going to call you to schedule an interview, you could let your unrecognized calls go to voicemail until you get hired, and then YOU screen THEM. Decide how to respond after they call. I suspect most employers will contact you by email anyway, and on the odd chance you get someone calling, you can have your brother help out with a return call, or you’ll be able to email them back instead.

I would tend to err on the side of “here are 50 different ways to get a hold of me, please just use the easiest one because i really really really want a job,” even if I don’t prefer some of them-- because as long as an employer reaches out to me, I can take that and run with it, and use THAT to somehow tell them “hey by the way, I’ll be able to make a much better impression on you if we [super easy accommodation]” but that’s just ME. only YOU can decide what’s best for YOU and your specific situation and disability. And whatever you decide is going to be totally acceptable.

the Job Accommodation Network has resources and a text chat for answering questions about accommodations, and might be worth checking out: https://askjan.org/

Since this will be your first job and you have a disability, you might also think about contacting your state’s Department of Rehabilitation, or Vocational Rehabilitation office. They specialize in helping people with disabilities get the skills they need to get jobs, and they may have some suggestions, resources, or even relationships with employers looking for your skills.

If you’re not in the U.S., I’m sorry to have bored you :laughing:

Good luck!! You can do this.