Should I learn App Dev

I am starting college 1st year soon and will be pursuing AI & ML someone suggested that I learn app development cause it would help me during projects as I can just make an app on whatever project I am working on.
Since I am just starting, I was thinking of exploring different fields but would it be better if I just focus on AI & ML?
Does it have any negative effect if i mention it in my resume that I know two different different fields like App Dev. and AI & ML which I think aren’t much related.
Finally if I should learn app dev. which would be better Java or Kotlin or any other PL.
By the way don’t know if its helpful but I know a little bit of python.

1 Like

I can’t imagine that learning about application development would be bad in any way. As for your resume, you should always focus on the things you want to highlight and know best in your resume. That may mean focusing on other projects you will work on in the future whose main components are not in the app development area. Essentially the resume should reflect whatever makes sense for you to reflect for the job you are applying for.

As for which PL to use, well Python can be used if you want and there are multiple free courses online that teach Python and flask together for app development like Harvard’s CS50x course and this Microsoft course: Build real world applications with Python - Training | Microsoft Learn

Thanks for the advice but is learning app dev. in python worth it?
I heard that mostly Java and Kotlin is used in this field.
I don’t mind learning another language if it is helps in future.
So what would you suggest, should I just continue with python for app dev. or try another PL.

I am not in this field but here’s what I read about it:
Top 10 AI Programming Languages | Simform.

Hello @adhyanjain25!

You are correct that they are not related. Would it have any negative effect? I mean I would think no but what kind of jobs require that intersection of App development and AI + ML?

I think it’s fair to assume you mean Android App Development here (remember iOS also exists but uses Swift programming language, I think you can also use Objective-C too). There isn’t a right or wrong answer to this question, it’s opinion-based. Java has vast community support and is very stable. Kotlin is recommended for Android development - read more here on Android’s website. You can work with either language, what matters most is that you master the fundamentals (Data Structures and Algorithms, Object Oriented Programming, etc.) - here is a good resource if you’re interested in having a roadmap for this.

Hi,

Focusing on AI & ML is great, but adding app development skills can enhance your projects. Listing both AI/ML and app development on your resume is beneficial.

For app development, consider Kotlin for Android or use Python with frameworks like Kivy for cross-platform apps.

Thanks!