Someone help me understand

Tell us what’s happening:
I would like to know what am I doing wrong here.

Your code so far

function myLocalScope() {
 myVar ='use strict';

// Only change code below this line

console.log('inside myLocalScope', myVar);
}
myLocalScope();

// Run and check the console
// myVar is not defined outside of myLocalScope
console.log('outside myLocalScope', myVar);

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/85.0.4183.121 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Local Scope and Functions

Link to the challenge:

To declare a variable you have to use var keyword :slight_smile:

var myVariable = "Hello world!";
1 Like

You want to put the line of code @sitek94 mentions below the // Only change code below this line

You don’t want to change the line of code 'use strict'; because that string on it’s own has a specific meaning, it’s not just a string but says code in the function will be run in strict mode.

1 Like

As mentioned, it’s worth pointing out that you change the 'use strict' directive, which is what normally would prevent you from creating an (unintended) global variable. I can’t really remember, but I believe the tests are always run in strict mode no matter what, but I might be wrong.

Here is the same code used in the browser:

No strict mode:

myVar = "test";
}

myLocalScope()
// inside myLocalScope test
window.myVar
// "test"

In strict mode:

'use strict'
  myVar = "test";
}

myLocalScope()
// Uncaught ReferenceError: myVar is not defined
window.myVar
// undefined
1 Like

Thank you , very much, I had to add var myVar = ‘use strict’; on line 5 in the function. and remove both console.logs.

Adding var myVar = 'use strict' doesn’t break your code, but it makes absolutely no sense. The point of 'use strict' is that the browser that reads your script will handle it with different (stricter) rules. This won’t happen in your code, though. Instead, you now have a pointless variable called myVar with a value of 'use strict'that you never use.

If you want the use strict rules to be applied to your functions, you’ll have to use it like this, without assigning it to a variable:

function myFunction(){
  'use strict';
  // function now does stuff according to strict rules
}

Just to sum up everything.

Here’s an example without "strict mode"

And with "strict mode"

And here’s a codepen so you can check it out