Struggling to find employment

Here here. I am NOWHERE near ready to start applying for any developer jobs; in fact it seems light years away from where I am now, but I found the information here very helpful. I am bookmarking for future reference.

3 Likes

Do you mind telling us how many jobs you applied to in the last 6 monthsā€¦like 10,50,100?
How many of these did you have an on-site interview with?
Thanks for the post I think most ppl are in the same position you are in.

Iā€™ve been averaging about 3 a day, junior to intermediate level positions. Have gotten about 3 phone interviews and only one in person.

90% of the time Iā€™ll just get an email stating that I lack the professional experience required to fill the position.

wow thanks man good luck out there

1 Like

Bookmarking so that I can apply what is said for myself when I further my knowledge and am not a complete and utter noob. Well done and very informative!

2 Likes

@Anthonyf323 My company is currently hiring.
If youā€™re willing to move to or commute to Greensboro, have the desire to code, and willing to learn, I can send you some links.

2 Likes

@8-up Definitely interested. My email address is on my portfolio site

seriously the wall of feedback is so goodā€¦ I would pay for that, this is getting bookmarked, to motivate and help with my own work :smile:

Also bookmarked for future reference. :grin:

1 Like

Lots of great advice already given. I really recommend the FCC curriculum to sharpen your portfolio and resume, even algorithm skills.

And Iā€™ll stress the human element too. Any connections you can make personally are crucial.

And remember, it only takes one success out of all of your attempts to reach your goal. You may have to submit 100 or 1000 applications, but you only need one to succeed. Donā€™t let your spirits get down. Just consider failures in terms of probability, with each rejection you know youā€™re coming closer to that final acceptance.

Good luck!

1 Like

@8-up Definitely interested. My portfolio site:
http://artot.net

1 Like

Great work - the two issues I saw is when you click on github or codepen you leave the portfolio - I think it would be better if it opened up a new tab. And I would remove your instagram link.
Good luck - Iā€™ve seen lots of good advice on this thread that Iā€™ll be using too.

1 Like

EDIT: I donā€™t have this bad visual effect (described below) in Firefox or on my iPhone, only in Chrome (older version of Chrome, running on Mountain Lion). So forget about what I said maybe lol.

EDIT 2: Iā€™ve checked within the latest version of Chrome for OS X now, the effect is far less visible there, so itā€™s kind of okay. But itā€™s still there (and it looks really horrible within that older version of Chrome, dunno how it is in other browsers), so I would maybe think about removing it if possible. Maybe a mistake of the site or the server, I donā€™t know. But it endangers the first impression when you apply for a job, and thatā€™s maybe not a too good idea, especially when it becomes impossible to read the text at all like in the case of that older Chrome version.
Nice lesson though.
ā€¦
On my Mac (with non-retina screen), when I open up your page, the basic white text I am seeing on this grayish background looks not good. Itā€™s because the greyish background is flickering a lot. This makes it very hard to read the text. Actually Iā€™m even getting a bit of eye pain from it. At least I am getting distracted.

If I would be a recruiter and this would be my first impression opening your site, I would loose interest at once. First impression is the most important thing, so first impression has to be the best always. And on your site, itā€™s like that the first impression is not only not a good one, it is also a kind of visual hindrance to enter your site at all. So I could imagine that a lot of people donā€™t even care for checking out more of your website.

You have to imagine that recruiters or HR people are very busy. So you have to make it as easy as possible for them to check out your portfolio.

Sorry for hard criticism, but I think this will help you the most. These are just things that can be improved easily. So donā€™t feel demotivated by it. Just take it as a motivation to become better. And finally, it is only my opinion, Iā€™m not God or something lol. But if this impression is happening to me, I could imagine that this will happen to a lot of other people as well.

Best of luck for your future! I am sure you will find a job soon!

This review is worth, maybe literally, thousands of dollars. I hope a lot (a LOT) of people read it and learn.

5 Likes

I completely ignored this thread for ages and just read the wall oā€™ text. Holy moly! Iā€™ve got about a year to continue levelling up before I even start considering applying for jobs, but your portfolio advice is going to be my other road map (the first one being this).

Thanks for your CONSISTENTLY excellent and thoughtful posts.

2 Likes

Edit to my previous post: I donā€™t have this bad visual effect in Firefox or on my iPhone, only in Chrome (older version of Chrome, running on Mountain Lion). So forget about what I said maybe lol.

EDIT 2: Iā€™ve checked within the latest version of Chrome for OS X now, the effect is far less visible there, so itā€™s kind of okay. But itā€™s still there (and it looks really horrible within that older version of Chrome, dunno how it is in other browsers), so I would maybe think about removing it if possible. Maybe a mistake of the site or the server, I donā€™t know. But it endangers the first impression when you apply for a job, and thatā€™s maybe not a too good idea, especially when it becomes impossible to read the text at all like in the case of that older Chrome version.
Nice lesson though.

Is not a designer this site have a lot of problems, but never mind if you apply for a frontend developer, you donā€™t need it.

Wish some1 just hire me for writing this message, from pitty :cry: feelin hopeless :cry:

May be a bit off topicā€¦ But would you mind if I use your resume as a template? It looks great as does the rest of your profile.

Yes you can. Good luck on your job search.