Technical Documentation Page (So Close!)

I got through the whole of this before and passed all the tests and I thought I’d redo it. Unfortunately, it wasn’t until the end that I realised that I could only pass 15 out of 16 tests with my current design! Here it is and I’ll try to get the final thing done for next week.

Let me know what you think!

Another thing about this test, is that it asks for headers rather than h2’s at the beginning of each section, but the w3 validator says this is bad practise!

Also took ages getting all the &li; tags to pass :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for all the support!

Yes, you should have a heading tag (e.g. <h2>) at the beginning of each section, and you can, just put it inside the required <header> tag.

1 Like

I didn’t know that… Good to know Bruce :slight_smile:

@Codemiester, when a test fails click the red button to see which test(s) are failing and text to help you correct the issue.
Be sure and read more than just the first line of the failing message. The ability to read and comprehend error messages is a skill you’ll need to acquire as a developer. Ask questions on what you don’t understand.

The failing message says;

On regular sized devices (laptops, desktops), the element with id="navbar" should be shown on the left half of the screen. It should always be visible to the user and should remain stationary. You may need to enlarge the viewport or zoom out to ensure the navbar doesn't scroll with the page content.
Left of bounding rectangle is not correct.: expected 86.328125 to be at most -445.34375
AssertionError: Left of bounding rectangle is not correct.: expected 86.328125 to be at most -445.34375

When looking at your page, no matter what the screen size the nav is always at the top.
According to the user story it should be on the left and stationary for regular sized devices.
It’s okay to have it at the top on small screens.

The W3C validator is giving you a warning and letting you know about semantics which are new in HTML5.
You can choose to ignore the warning or implement the fix as @bbsmooth explained.

1 Like

I understood what I did wrong, I just didn’t design it according to the user specs and forgot about it until the final submission :stuck_out_tongue:

Having said that Roma your advice is still appreciated. I’ve got into the habit of designing mobile-first. Do you think this will be a problem on the redesign? Should I design desktop-first and build the top nav in via a media query?

Thanks for your help!

That’s a good habit to get into.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.