The problem with learning programming

Well if you don’t show/ explain how things connected together than tell me how am I going to continue the course? you are leaving a gap/blank space in my knowledge.
If it is only one that’s okay I can google, even tho googling not always helps.
One of the reasons I wrote this post is because no matter how I google it by rephrasing hopefully someone has an explanation out there. They just don’t.
Even in this forum most say that I can’t teach you everything. True but I am not asking for extra stuff. You should be responsible for what you cover. You can’t assume your students know something while you are teaching them. Explain the topics that you cover.
So why actually it is important to teach that way?
I can skip many topics that you don’t explain. But do you know how it feels?
It makes programming like rocket science. I know that computer science is science too. But learning a language should not give you like you are learning rocket science. That’s the problem with the tutors online.
Instead of making it simple they make it harder than it is.
I am making my own videos now but hopefully free code camp change the way they teach too.

Most people think I was talking about FCC specifically Beau Carnes but this post wasn’t related to FCC only, ıt includes almost all udemy tutors and all of youtube devs.

Well, there’s your problem right here. Sorry to be flippant, but you’ve picked one platform (Udemy) that is well known to have exceptionally patchy content, and one (YouTube) which isn’t a learning platform at all, it’s random people posting videos. Complaining about these is just screaming into the void. For crying out loud, literally pick a better platform, don’t make obtuse complaints about something it’s impossible for you to change.

2 Likes

well it depends on what you learn. ı am not saying that youtube revolutionized learning but there are some great teachers in there. BTW FCC has a youtube channel too and all of their courses.

@DanCouper
I got very frustrated yesterday and it shows. I took some time away from the materials to have a break (as im counterintuitively trying to ram this learning home). I started looking back over the materials with a better more positive attitude this morning and will keep going at it. Today i have a new approach, going slowly and understanding the material is much better than racing through and not getting it, cos thats only compounding tomorrows problems.

I shouldnt be ungrateful, FCC has done an amazing job on a resource for FREE!! This is like trying to build a jigsaw without knowing what the final picture looks like, so it must be hard to teach as no matter which side or angle it is started from, the abstraction still makes it difficult - the only antidote is time on the job!! So the only way is to learn and understand each small step and keep going - and try not to let off steam in the forum in the process! :flushed:

if you want to start from something more basics than JavaScript, Harvard has a course called “CS50: Introduction to Computer Science”
there you can learn many things that are not taught in the FreeCodeCamp course

2 Likes

trying this but it feels like it’s more talking than writing actual code.
I mean I need both explanation and writing actual code. That’s why trying to look at different sources and combine "explanation + actual code "
I can understand explanation or reading but without getting your hands dirty with code it is just reading a story from a book and forgetting about it.

each chapter of the course has homeworks, the first one puts you doing a project in Scratch

pretty hands on I would say

you can find it on edX if you want the whole experience of a MOOC

@firdavsiQ

im using anki to take notes each day to try remember info. Not sure if that helps at all?

by CS50 do you mean the one that is on coursera.org or youtube.com video ?

this one: https://online-learning.harvard.edu/course/cs50-introduction-computer-science

which is also the one you can find on the fcc youtube channel

1 Like

ok it is the same course but on edx
thank you.
from your experience if you have finished. What will you learn from this?
also have you finished google IT certification program and is it important for a dev to understand IT stuff ?

I am not the right person to ask these questions to, I am a chemistry student and will aim for a job in this field, I am doing just what’s interesting me

2 Likes

My uncle, who has a great job in coding, said that if you are struggling to learn languages like JS, you should take some short classes at a college. He gave me that advice because he said it really helps to be able to ask questions of the teacher whenever you feel like asking them. Thus, you understand more clearly.

You don’t have to go to a traditional college to study. At least that’s not the case for me. So the only option for me is finding places to get the same knowledge you would get from a university.
Like online universities that give CS degree.

I am not sure what do you mean by this

@firdavsiQ
I wanted to do the “Google’s IT Professional Certificates, hosted on Coursera” - courses myself maybe 1 year ago, i was told that, while they may increase your knowledge they may not be worth much professionally. I never did the google course.
Im still studying Cisco CCNA - however that was for a different job role, ive now switched to wanting to program (personal circs changed). There is little parallel between CCNA / networking and programming and i dont think CCNA, if i get it from cisco, will help me if i succeed in becoming a programmer.
CCNA may help me professionally as it shows im willing to learn while employed (CCNA has taken me 2 years part time whilst employed).

Sure, but remember, you don’t have to take some whole college course, you just can to take some classes. If you wait a few more months, you could probably even go to a college and study with a teacher in person.

Not really, and w/r/t what you’re talking about (the Google IT certification course content), no. None of the stuff in the course is really related to programming. The things taught may well be helpful to you if you are a developer, as you can understand how some of the systems developers deploy working software to are managed. But it is definitely not programming or software development.

The sheer fact that you’re asking this suggests that you don’t know what you’re actually looking for. This is expected at a beginner level! But you need to be realistic here, and have a good think about exactly what your goals are. You say you want very basics, as in the theory-level basics, but you don’t want the wordy explanations this requires. CS theory isn’t language-specific, it’s not really designed to teach you a programming language or how to develop software. You don’t need to do a CS course to build software, and FCC, for example, is not a CS course.

You want syntax basics, but they are specific to language, and any CS course is going to just give you a brief overview of them, enough to be able to show you theoretical concepts.

You want theoretical concepts, but any software development course is, if it mentions theory at all, just going to give you a very brief overview, and then concern itself with just teaching you to build practical things.

1 Like

you noted approx one hour ago that;

to help you “not forget” - anki uses spaced repitition to remember key concepts. Its no compensation for coding practice, but if your in my position where you dont know enought to code, ANKI might help you remember all key concepts to build your knowledge.
You can download it for free for mac, Pc and android. It can sync between computer and phone. i believe for iPhones, you have to pay for the app. Article and download links below;

https://apps.ankiweb.net/

I use Google sheets to write up the “front” and “back” of my anki cards (similar to using flashcards) - heres an explanation of how thats done;

1 Like