This still doesn't make sense

Tell us what’s happening:
I have the answer, because I looked it up in the hints, which isn’t great I know, but why does this work? Wouldn’t the function just stop at return lookup[val]? Why is “return result” even there? I have no idea what I’m doing, I couldn’t even come up with an answer that didn’t work, all I could manage was writing the lookup object, and then I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.

Your code so far

// Setup
function phoneticLookup(val) {
var result = "";

var lookup = {
  "alpha": "Adams",
  "bravo": "Boston",
  "charlie": "Chicago",
  "delta": "Denver",
  "echo": "Easy",
  "foxtrot": "Frank"
}
return lookup[val];
return result;
}

console.log(phoneticLookup("alpha"));

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/81.0.4044.129 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Using Objects for Lookups

Link to the challenge:

Hello!

You are correct in that return lookup[val] terminates the function. This works because lookup[val] produces the right answer.

If you change return lookup[val] to result = lookup[val] your function would terminate at return result but still yield the correct information.

Hi there i think i know what you where trying to do. this was mention by @nhcarrigan
but i will explained in detailed.

There were 2 ways of trying to get back the answer as return:

1. return lookup[val];
    This just returning the object key value pair(“Adams”), witch will be the decent and the right way of doing it.

2. return result = lookup[val];
    This is another way of doing it, but by creating an empty string
    var result = ""; as result meaning storing your value return, and return it. In this particular case you needed to create an extra variable an assigned as empty string.

I think they/you will trying to get the returning value in two different methods.
Hope this helps clarify a bit more.