}

window.onload = function () {
    var fiveMinutes = 60 * 5,
        display = document.querySelector('#time');
    startTimer(fiveMinutes, display);
};

Thanks,

Andrej

Yea thats what I thought, but it is in an if statement. Its not something that runs every time…

It is decrementing in the if statement.

if (--timer < 0) {
  timer = duration;
}

And yes it does run every time because it needs to evaluate the condition. So if the condition has an assignment it will be executed.

// or more explicitly
if ((timer = timer - 1) < 0) {
  timer = duration;
}

Yea I get it has to run every time but why does it change the actual value of timer? Wouldnt it just see if one less then timer is = to 0 and then keep the original value of timer?

--timer is the same thing as time -= 1 or timer = timer - 1. If you don’t want to change the value of timer then you need to not use --.

Ya I get that part, I am just confused why the if statement is changing the value of the timer globally and not just in the if statement…

Because the if statement condition is if (--timer < 0), your condition explicitly decrements the value of timer.

In words, that says “Decrement ‘timer’ and check if the new value of timer is less than 0. If it is, then execute this block.”

Oh ok, could you do

timer--

And this would be different? Because usually its something like i++ or i–

timer-- and --timer will have the same effect here. They both modify the value of timer.

1 Like

Just to be clear. In the code posted in the OP --time and time-- is not the same.

time-- will add -1 to the DOM before resetting and --time will go to 0 and reset.

2 Likes

Right. I usually try to avoid changing a variable as I am using it in a logical condition because of exactly this sort of easy confusion.

1 Like

I agree. There aren’t many places I would suggest using this type of code style.

One example that comes to mind is the “keep prompting until” while loop.

let input;

while ((input = prompt('Type something')) !== 'quit') {
  console.log(input);  
}
2 Likes