Tribute Page - 1st HTML/CSS project ever

Hi everyone,

I would love some feedback on my first freecodecamp project and first thing I’ve ever coded. I think it looks a little dated and difficult to read; are there ways to make it easier to read and/or not-too-difficult ways to make it look more modern? I also don’t quite understand how to submit it to make sure I pass the project criteria? If i just copy and paste the url into the “build a tribute page” and it’s accepted does that mean it meets all the user stories?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jessica

HI @Jevaha !

Welcome to the forum!

To check if you are passing all of the tests you need to run the test suite.
Open up the test suite, pick the project you are working and then click run tests.
Right now you are failing 1 test

Click on the red button and read the full error message to see how you can fix it.

No, it is up to you to see that you pass all of the tests.
The system will accept any project link.
We go off of the honor system that the user will submit passing projects.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hi @Jevaha,

First, congratulations for the first thing you ever did in coding! Second, indeed, your page looks a little dated if we compare with the work of people who do this since few years already, but you are at the beginning and it is completely normal. You have to give yourself time and continue in the way you are, and you will see that you will learn new things in facing each time new problems and your pages will look really different compared with what you did at the beginning. The next projects will train you in other things you will see. :wink:

Now, to submit your project, you can copy the link of your CodePen project and paste it to the freeCodeCamp project page.

Now, to talk about your code, you can use a cool tool to check your code: Validator

I know you code in CodePen and it allows to not have the body etc, but I think it is good that you add them as you are at the beginning.

Example:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta charset="utf-8" />
    <title>My page</title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <!-- Your code -->
  </body>
<html>

The main tag is not made to contain all the code. Even it works. That’s what I would say and advice. The other things depends on you and the way you want to present your page.

Globally, I find your code good for a beginning. Congrats :wink: (You have one user story who doesn’t pass, you can check the error message in clicking the red button)

If you want more feedbacks, maybe you should share your project to the #project-feedback subform.

Your page looks good @Jevaha. Some things to revisit;

• The test script, with all tests passing, should be included when you submit your projects.
    Your page passes 9/10 user stories. Click the red button to see which test(s) are failing and text to help you correct the issue.
    Be sure and read more than just the first line of the failing message. The ability to read and comprehend error messages is a skill you’ll need to acquire as a developer. Ask specific questions on what you don’t understand.
  • Run your HTML code through the W3C validator.
    There is an HTML syntax/coding error you should be aware of and address.
    Since copy/paste from codepen you can ignore the first warning and first two errors.
  • Codepen provides validators for HTML, CSS and JS. Click on the chevron in the upxper right of each section and then click on the respective ‘Analyze’ link.
    The one for CSS is good. Use it and address the issue(s).
    (The one for HTML misses things which is why I recommend W3C)

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.