Trouble with obtaining input value

I am trying to get the text value from the input box. I have followed the W3 schools example on how to do it. After adding it to my my code, I still cannot get the text value from the input bpx and display it on the screen. My code pen with the problem: https://codepen.io/Ag_Yog/pen/ayJQgR.
My attempted solution:
function submit(){ var x = document.getElementById("page").value; document.getElementById("result").innerHTML = x; }

Thanks for any help

Your immediate fix to this to move your submit() function outside of the jquery document.ready check.

However, I would take this a step further. I personally don’t think you should assign the event handler inside the HTML. I’d remove the onclick = "submit()" from your HTML, and change your function submit() to something like this:

$('#submit').on('click', function() { 
     //submit code here
});

you have your submit function wrapped in a function; therefore, the html can’t find the submit function. Instead of doing this:

function submit(){

You could instead do something like this:

window.submit = function (){

Both my ‘immediate fix’ and @codyseibert solution work, but I would go with the second option I put. These two here will pollute the global scope.

I would agree with @ryanjgross, you should try not to pollute the global space.

<div align="center">
	<input type="text" id = "page" value="" />
	<button id="submit">Submit</button>
	<p id = "result"></p>
</div>
function submit(){
    var x = document.getElementById("page").value;
    document.getElementById("result").innerHTML = x;
}

//jQuery version
$('#submit').on('click', submit);

//vanilla JS version