Truncate a string- Is this a bug?

Truncate a string- Is this a bug?
0.0 0

I’m really struggling with the algorithm scripting challenges and most of the time I just go and look up the solution and then I understand from there how to sort out the problem and what the code does. I even took a course on udemy on algorithm scripting which gave me a better idea about algorithms and how to go about solving them but I’m still struggling.

Now on this algorithm I think there is a bug because I can’t pass this challenge even if I copy and paste code from solutions here on the forum. The first 2 tests don’t pass which is:

truncateString(“A-tisket a-tasket A green and yellow basket”, 8) should return “A-tisket…”.
truncateString(“Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers”, 11) should return “Peter Piper…”.

I think the first one where the str lenght is 8 can never return “A-tisket…” that would be a str length of 11 since the “…” is included in the length.
Then same situation on test 2, with the “…” included equals a length of 14 and that test can also never pass.

[spoiler]function truncateString(str, num) {
  // Clear out that junk in your trunk
  if (str.length > num && num > 3) {
    return str.slice(0, (num - 3)) + '...';
  }
   else if (str.length > num && num <= 3) {
    return str.slice(0, num) + '...';
  } 
  else {
    return str;
  }
}

truncateString("A-tisket a-tasket A green and yellow basket", 11);[/spoiler]

Basic Algorithm Scripting: Truncate a String

Instead of copying/pasting a possible solution from the forum, why not post what code you tried.

BTW - The code you posted does not pass the current challenge’s instructions. You may have copied the code from an older post before the new curriculum which had some minor challenge instruction changes.

Hi, here is the code I tried.

function truncateString(str, num) {
    return str.slice(0, (num - 3)) + '...';
  }
   else if (str.length > num && num <= 3) {
  } 
  else {
    return str;
  }
}

truncateString("A-tisket a-tasket A green and yellow basket", 11);

The solution you just posted fails, because the following test should return "A-tisket…"

truncateString("A-tisket a-tasket A green and yellow basket", 8)

and this solution returns "A-tis…"

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into the forum, precede it with a line of three backticks and follow it with a line of three backticks to make easier to read. See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard. The “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) will also add backticks around text.

Yes that’s what I cant understand. the chalenge says: Truncate a string (first argument) if it is longer than the given maximum string length (second argument). Return the truncated string with a … ending.

On the test1 the maximum string length is specified as 8…which should return > “A-tis…”

but the test says it should return > “A-tisket…” which is a length of 11.

oh i think you are misunderstanding. The number is the max allowed for the given string, not for the truncated string!

truncateString(“A-tisket a-tasket A green and yellow basket”, 8) should return “A-tisket…”.

The truncated string if you notice, has 8 chars from the original string plus …
That is what they meant. Hope this helps.

Yes looks like I’m misunderstanding. Thanks I’ll try again

My goodness :smile: I just had to take out the -3 at the first if statement.

problem solved thanks.

}
   else if (num <= 3) {
  } 
  else {
    return str;
  }
}