Trying to setup freeCodeCamp locally

I was trying to set up freecodecamp locally but I am getting an error.and I cant find a solution online.can someone help me?

it’s impossible to help you without more details, what steps have you done until now? at which step do yoo get the error? what error do you get?

I am following the steps here https://github.com/freeCodeCamp/freeCodeCamp/blob/master/docs/how-to-setup-freecodecamp-locally.md

and I am getting errors at the npm run develop step.it says
npm ERR! missing script: develop

and I am using ubuntu 18.04 by the way

Hello there,

Just for your information, the docs are served here: https://contribute.freecodecamp.org/#/how-to-setup-freecodecamp-locally?id=running-freecodecamp-locally

There should be no npm run build step, but I assume you mean npm run develop.

The most likely cause for that error is you not being in the correct directory, when you run it.

Would you mind sharing your bash input and its output?

yes you are right I meant npm run develop.when I run that command it says develop script isnt in the package.json file.but it is there.

Would you mind sharing your bash input and its output?

Thank you.I was able to fix the problem and now it is working.another question though.do I have to run npm run develop every time I want to open freecodecamp locally?

Unless you do not stop/close the server/client, then yes.

okay thanks.and another question if you don’t mind.I can’t sign in as a local user.localhost:3000 is not working.is there a solution for that?

Your not giving us much to work with here, saying something doesn’t work is not very helpful. Please include some more information.

Is the DB running and did you seed it? What happens when you sign in?

Edit: also make sure you created the .env as documented and if your .env file is old (doesn’t sound like it would be) make sure it contains the same as is in the sample.env file.

I did seed the DB.it is running.I managed to run freecodecamp locally.everything is working perfectly fine.I just couldn’t sign in with as a local user.it responds with this page

plus I did create the .env file.and of course it does contain the same content as the sample.env file.

Port 3000 is served by the server. Please share/have a look at the output of the server to debug.

Screenshots are very difficult to work with.

For those looking for how to set up locally just so you can learn code without internet, I made a tutorial REDACTED

Hi. Kudos for what you’re doing, but we don’t allow people to use the freeCodeCamp forum for promotional purposes. If you would like to be one of the developer authors for Free Code Camp News, you can find everything you need to know in the Publication Style Guide, or read here about how to contribute to freeCodeCamp’s YouTube channel. Alternatively, you can find everything else about contributing to Free Code Camp in the contributing docs.