Typo in step 32

Tell us what’s happening:
Describe your issue in detail here.
Shouldn’t this sentence include the word not?
Without which , the text content of the option will not be submitted to the server.

Step 32

Submitting the form with an option selected would not send a useful value to the server. As such, each option needs to be given a value attribute. Without which, the text content of the option will be submitted to the server.

Give the first option a value of "", and the subsequent option elements value attributes from 1 to 4.
Your code so far

/* file: index.html */
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
 <head>
   <title>Registration Form</title>
	  <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles.css" />
 </head>
 <body>
   <h1>Registration Form</h1>
   <p>Please fill out this form with the required information</p>
   <form action='https://register-demo.freecodecamp.org'>
     <fieldset>
       <label>Enter Your First Name: <input type="text" required /></label>
       <label>Enter Your Last Name: <input type="text" required /></label>
       <label>Enter Your Email: <input type="email" required /></label>
       <label>Create a New Password: <input type="password" pattern="[a-z0-5]{8,}" required /></label>
     </fieldset>
     <fieldset>
       <label><input type="radio" name="account-type" /> Personal Account</label>
       <label><input type="radio" name="account-type" /> Business Account</label>
       <label>
         <input type="checkbox" required /> I accept the <a href="https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/terms-of-service/">terms and conditions</a>
			  </label>
     </fieldset>
     <fieldset>
       <label>Upload a profile picture: <input type="file" /></label>
       <label>Input your age (years): <input type="number" min="13" max="120" />
			  </label>
       <label>How did you hear about us?
         <select>
           <option>(select one)</option>
           <option>freeCodeCamp News</option>
           <option>freeCodeCamp YouTube Channel</option>
           <option>freeCodeCamp Forum</option>
           <option>Other</option>
         </select>
       </label>
     </fieldset>
     <input type="submit" value="Submit" />
   </form>
 </body>
</html>
/* file: styles.css */
body {
 width: 100%;
 height: 100vh;
 margin: 0;
 background-color: #1b1b32;
	color: #f5f6f7;
}

label {
	display: block;
	margin: 0.5rem 0;
}

**Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/103.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Step 32

Link to the challenge:

The sentence is correct as it is. If you specify a value attribute on the option then that value gets passed to the server. If you don’t specify a value attribute then the text inside the option tags gets passed to the server.

Do you absolutely need to specify a value attribute? No, if the text for the option is adequate then you can just use that. It depends on what data the server expects you to send it. In this case, it seems like the server expects a value from 1 to 4, which represents each of the choices in the select. I do think the first sentence of this step could make that a little clearer.

1 Like

Inside the first opening tag of option set value attribute=“” and on other option tags start by setting the value attribute from 1 to 4

1 Like

Okay, thank you for the clarification. I am just meticulous and thought I spotted a typo, my mistake.

I was wondering why when I do the parenthesis only on Option 1 I get an error saying to give the code of "You should give the first option a value of "" ". When I use “” it is an error. Does the “” have a value because I don’t understand at all.

If you have a question about a specific challenge as it relates to your written code for that challenge, just click the Ask for Help button located on the challenge. It will create a new topic with all code you have written and include a link to the challenge also. You will still be able to ask any questions in the post before submitting it to the forum.

Thank you.

1 Like