Unable to 'npm %NAME% view' in how-to-npm

Hello guys, so i’m following the how-to-npm tutorial and even though it’s not required for me to use npm view in order to proceed, the following is said:

In order to view your package content, I just ran this command:

npm view @steps/mng-pkg-files
    Run that command yourself to see what it prints out.

And so i do run it and…
All I get is this:

npm ERR! Linux 4.2.0-c9
npm ERR! argv "/home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v4.5.0/bin/node" "/home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v4.5.0/bin/npm" "view"
npm ERR! node v4.5.0
npm ERR! npm  v3.10.8

npm ERR! failed to fetch from registry: http://localhost:15443/@steps%2fmng-pkg-files
npm ERR! 
npm ERR! If you need help, you may report this error at:
npm ERR!     <https://github.com/npm/npm/issues>

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR!     /home/ubuntu/workspace/mng-pkg-files/npm-debug.log
steps:~/workspace/mng-pkg-files (master) $ 

This is my package.json file
{
“name”: “@steps/mng-pkg-files”,
“version”: “1.0.0”,
“description”: “fcc tutorial”,
“main”: “index.js”,
“repository”:“”,
“scripts”: {
“test”: “node test.js”
},
“author”: “steps”,
“license”: “ISC”,
“dependencies”: {
@linclark/pkg”: “^1.0.2”
}

}

So, what am I doing wrong?

I could not get how-to-npm to work at all on my computer (I set everything up right, how-to-npm is just buggy), so I just gave up on the tutorials until the new update comes out.

Hopefully someone here knows a better tutorial for it.

It’s sad that I couldn’t get that little feature working, and… lol, I think the remove dist-tag chapter is definitely off, I was unable to point the latest version of my package to a tagged one and had to come up with a sketchy solution.

Let’s see if i recall properly.
So, in this chapter I have to point my package’s default ‘latest’ to a tagged version.

I thought i would either do something with npm dist-tag or maybe npm publish but i got registry or 403 errors accross my attempts. I noticed some of the ‘chapters’ had different kinds of access to the whole package.

So,i started thinking with npm publish --tag=
For me to publish something new i needed a new version. It didn’t matter which version I was in, as long as it was a new one. So, first i went into the version chapter and i bumped a version (npm version patch) then i went into one of the publish chapters and proceeded with the publish -tag=.
Then i went back into the remove dist-tag chapter and verified it. It was successful. :stuck_out_tongue: I could see with ‘npm dist-tag ls’ that there was only one version, and that version could only be the latest!

I don’t know what I did wrong, what command was I expected to do to point, in the remove dist-tag chapter, to the default ‘latest’ package version?
It’s me or a bug, I guess, either way…it’s done

I ran into this as well. The issue here seems to be due to a bug with the how-to-npm local registry.

I was able to resolve the issue by re-doing the “02 Login” exercise. The steps are:
1.) Go back and run how-to-npm do the 02 Login exercise
2.) Run how-to-npm verify
3.) Run how-to-npm and re-do the 08 Publish exercise (ignore warning about republishing package)
4.) Run how-to-npm verify
5.) You should now be able to run npm view <yourprojectname> without any errors

There’s a bug open for it on github. Original solution was posted on there by user sawant.
It might only be relevant to Cloud9 users.
https://github.com/workshopper/how-to-npm/issues/8

1 Like