Unable to view solutions

I recently returned to FCC after a long hiatus. I’ve searched the forum for answers but to no avail. I cannot view any of my past solutions. I am using the same browser and computer, I have always been using.

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

A list of your completed challenges is saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges by looking at your public portfolio. With a growing curriculum already over 1,400 lessons and a growing user base several times that size, FCC does not store every solution to ever challenge in its database. There are some challenges which are classified as projects required for certifications. Your solutions to those can be viewed on your settings page.

Your in-editor code is saved in your browser’s local storage. Recent in-progress code from the challenge editor is also saved in your local browser cache when you run tests. Because FCC rolled out a completely new application, the old cached values are no longer valid. This is the same effect you would have if you cleared your browser cache. If you are completing lessons and do not see your recent code, then something is preventing FCC from writing to your browser’s storage. This could be a browser setting, a privacy extension, or a browser version incompatibility. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache.

This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning. The FCC team is working on creating an easy way for campers to download a solution when a challenge is completed. You can help add useful tools like this by being a contributor .

Hey Ariel,
I’m quite in the same situation here…
so this repl.it does it parse your json to js like in the exercise?

It executes JavaScript code.

Hello!
How can we properly view the downloaded solutions file? I’ve opened it with a text editor (vim), and it was a long one-liner code.
I’d appreciate any pointers.

It’s a JSON file. There are various tools for “prettifying” JSON, depending on what you want to view it in.

Which software do you use and recommend?

It depends. My text editor of choice is Sublime Text 2, but you can even open it with a browser and use a JSON prettifying extension. I’d be willing to bet good money that there’s even a bunch of simple online tools that you can just paste the contents of a JSON file into.

Thanks for your response. I just tried opening a solutions json file with Sublime Text, and all the newlines ‘\n’ are not wrapped. Can you tell me how to wrap at new lines? I’m new to Sublime.
I’ve also tried a few online tools, and they all didn’t wrap for the newlines.

Thanks.

Actually, merely replacing ’ \n’ with a carriage return ‘\r’ in my Vim text editor allowed me to view the file in a decent state.
Do you also have to replace \n with newlines manually to view the solution file? What a hassle!

The content of the solution strings is formatted with escape characters. If you copy the whole solution and print it to the console, the string will be formatted.