User Experience - High Latency Text Input

Hello,

I’ve tried both Chrome and Safari on an M1 and intel Mac and experienced the same issue. The longer I work on a module, the slower the text input becomes. Something seems to clog up and eventually it will take up to 10 seconds for text input to register in the input field. Closing and reopening the browser solves this issue, but only temporarily. It only happens in the FreeCodeCamp guided projects. Not here, for example, as I write this forum post.

Sounds like a memory leak.

Look at the memory usage (using the system tools, Activity Monitor on Mac). The browser dev tools also have a profiler you can try, but that is more involved.

Does it happen on all challenges? What challenge did you experience it with?

Any of the guided projects. I’m experiencing it now for instance as I redo the regex project. Activity Monitor doesn’t indicate that the tab is using up an egregious amount of memory (less than other tabs that I can input txt into with ease). Memory usage hovers around 350mb for the tab.

Make sure it isn’t an extension causing it. Disable all extensions, or you can install the chrome canary build and keep it clean of everything. You can also try it in Firefox just to test it.

I would open an issue for it.

You can try using the performance profiler. When it happens, capture a short recording and save it so you can post it in an issue.

I don’t know why the last embed is using Polish

I can’t seem to reproduce it. I did the Regex challenge, and it worked fine for me. But I wasn’t signed in though.

About how long does it take before it starts to happen?

Can you try testing it not signed in as well?

Very interesting. I will try to capture some runtime data with the tool you linked. I’m not entirely sure if it is time linked so much as ‘step’ linked. As in, the more times I submit and complete a step, the slower it gets. I believe that is what’s happening. Almost like something isn’t getting cleared between steps.

I will capture some data and see if I can figure out how to link it here.

My quick fix right now is to copy the step URL , close the tab, open a new tab, paste the URL and continue. That seems to get things back to normal for a few steps.