User Story #9 : Javascript Calculator on React

Tell us what’s happening:

Hi everyone! So I’m currently stuck with the JS Calculator Project #4 and I’m making it in React using Hooks. I am almost finished to it but User Story #9 is bugging out since I can’t think out what’s wrong with the code I implemented.

Your code so far:

Codepen: https://codepen.io/blaterwolf/full/dyMbzKK

Challenge: Javascript Calculator

Link to the Challenge: https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/front-end-libraries/front-end-libraries-projects/build-a-javascript-calculator

User Story #9: In any order, I should be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide a chain of numbers of any length, and when I hit “=”, the correct result should be shown in the element with the id of “display” (i.e. 3 + 5 * 6 - 2 / 4 -> formula / immediate execution)

The way that this is implemented is that, if I clicked 3 + 5 then clicking x would evaluate the answer to 8 and then it would show up to the code above together as 8 * awaiting for the next input but what happens is:

I’ll put also here the functions related to that scenario:

const addOperation = (event) => {
    const currentOperation = event.target.value;
    setOperation(currentOperation);
    if (current === "") return;
    if (equation !== "") {
      console.log("is this running???");
      evaluation();
      console.log(current, "is it changed?");
    }
    setEquation(current + " " + currentOperation);
    setCurrent("");
  };

const evaluation = () => {
    const prev = parseFloat(equation);
    const curr = parseFloat(current);
    if (isNaN(prev) || isNaN(curr)) return;
    const computation = math.evaluate(prev + operation + curr).toString();
    setCurrent(computation);
    console.log(
    prev,
    operation,
    curr,
    "=",
    computation,
    "should equal to",
    current
    );
    setOperation(undefined);
    setEquation("");
  };

As you can see from the console.log() that I created which is included also in the screenshot, the 3 + 5 is evaluated to 8 which is on the computation variable (I used mathjs here to evaluate the formula to avoid the eval() error from React/Javascript since I was using VSC first before implementing it to Codepen) but when I now set my current value using the hook setCurrent(computation) the value is still 5 and not 8.

Also, if you tried it normally like a simple 123 + 456 and hitting equal button would give off the right answer which pretty much says that current gets updated.

Any possible suggestions why the setCurrent does not get updated? Am I missing something? Thank you!

Edit: Fix code snippet and added notes.