};

result = lookup[val];
  // Only change code above this line
  return result;
}

// Change this value to test
phoneticLookup("alpha");

Your browser information:

Your Browser User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS x86_64 9592.96.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.114 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://www.freecodecamp.org/challenges/using-objects-for-lookups

I am wondering what to do here as I am completely lost. I had absolutely zero idea how to complete this challenge. Has this happened to anybody else here. And if so, did they go on to finally learn javascript and become a successful developer. I’m wondering where I went off track and why I’m not learning this stuff. I’m not dumb, I don’t think. I just really want to know if anyone else has had this level of difficulty and actually went on to land a career in dev? Please help.
Alex Thomas

Keep coding man, you don’t just get a job… you have to build yourself to get it.

The code you posted is correct. Why are you confused about coding a passing solution?

I had to look at the solution. I had no idea what they even wanted.

I hear you brother. I’m just wondering if it’s been this confusing for anyone else. I wouldn’t expect to find a job i’m not qualified for. I mean, I was like, “HUH?” with this question. and it’s not the only one. Anyway, thanks and good luck.

If you ever find yourself not understanding what the challenge wants, feel free to ask for clarification on the forum. There are many people here who are willing to help out a fellow camper when things get confusing. We were all beginners at some point and we all struggled through various concepts/challenges. Over time, you will start to see similarities and patterns in certain types of problems. With enough practice, you will wonder why you were ever confused on certain challenges.

Thanks a lot Randell. I appreciate the encouraging words. I will continue to press on to the light at the end of the tunnel.