Weather app help me :( (solved)

so i just got to the weather app builder… but im lost, i dont know where to start. i cant find any thing to help explain it that breaks it down for me on how to build it and what these statements are doing… because i dont wanna do this copy and paste crap… i want to actually understand this…

the issue that im having right now, is that going through the challenges, they dont really do a great job of actually explaining the terms they are using… like i get some of it, because i used to do this stuff back in high school, but it seems it has changed a bit… anyways, getting through the challenges, it seems like i cant even start without actually looking at the forum, like all the sudden, now, they say use the endpoint, use an api to do this, but you cant… like how am i supposed to get an example for how to make this work right? because ive taken what i know and tried to run it, and it just aint going through, i feel like im missing something, and its upsetting… only because i feel like there is no explanation anywhere of certain terms. like example… get requests, what information can i get? what keywords am i suppsed to use? is it flexible? like where are my boundaries on this?

that being said, i can visit the page with the info of my own lat and long. and i can see the data that it responds with, but i cant get my codepen to retreive and display it, like, i havent really looked at the code for the example, but i needed to find other examples just to see if maybe i might be missing something, and so many people use different methods like @import, which i dont neccesarily wanna use just yet… and some people’s didnt work, and some peoples dont cover the info i want to display… like im overwhelmed with it all, and still cant see what i personally am missing…

In order to get the data for the location, you’ll use the AJAX of your choice (such as jQuery’s getJSON), which will return to you a JSON, which you can parse as a JavaScript object and save into a variable. Then using that data, you want to insert the relevant info into your HTML.

Have you already finished the quote machine project?

yes, i have just finished the quote machine, which i got relatively easily… i had more trouble styling it to be pretty enough for me than i did with the actual commands…

but. am i allowed to use openweathermaps api instead of freecodecamps api bypass??? somehow i found that, and now, i think im starting to peice together how to get there… maybe. ive rewritten it all 6 times already hoping i had it right… lol but, this is just using an already determined location, and not seeking a location… i think thats really the only issue im having, is the geolocation, and displaying it… idk

yeah, i have… when i run that code through codepen, first off, it ends wrong, with a “;” that shouldnt be there… then…

instead of displaying information it says “//# sourceURL=pen.js” so… idk what im missing here

id even take it displaying the arrayed info as opposed to nothing right now. lol

so far i dont have one really… i have like a bunch of them where i was trying to take other peoples codes and modify them to see what changes when i delete this… kinda stuff… kinda fails tho when someone has refferenced and outside source… but the one where im simply trying to geolocate is https://codepen.io/EvonyJade/pen/zRQwQM

i read another forum post, i cut out the source tags, and fixed that, but it still shows nothing

and now FCC is broken

omg. hold on. i think my browser settings are contributing to my issue lol

well that fixed why it wasnt showing up on fcc but not on codepen :frowning:

okay ill try that :slight_smile:

well im still having issues, because for some reason my browser wont let me allow codepen to track my location… so i need to investigate that… but at least now its giving me the little locate icon, it wasnt before…

omgomgomgomgogmogmg so. thank you lol using ctr shft j, i figured out what the heck was holding me down. apparently because i kept requesting it, and not being able to actually allow the tracker, (because i didnt have jquery on) they had shut down my access to do it… i had to clear my browser history, as well as embed access thru iframes… but boom. its working. :slight_smile:

now i can figure out the rest of my code :slight_smile: ahahhaha thank you so much :slight_smile:

$(“document”).ready(function() {

if (navigator.geolocation) {

navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition(function(position) {

var status = “https://fcc-weather-api.glitch.me/api/current?lon=” + position.coords.longitude + “&lat=” + position.coords.latitude;

$.getJSON(status).then(function(info) {

var behavior = info.weather.main;
var temp = info.main.temp;
var country = info.sys.country;
var city = info.name;

function displayInfo(city, country, temp, behavior){

$(".city").html(city);
$(".country").html(country);
$(".temp").html(temp);
$(".behavior").html(behavior);

}

});

});

}

})

what am i getting wrong here? am i not retreiving the data right, or displaying it right??? lol

just checking in i figured it all out :slight_smile: