What content do you want from an experienced dev?

I’m a bored, software developer who wants to help those who are just getting started.

Quick background about me: I’ve been in the industry for four years now. I used to get a lot of fulfillment just from work. I really think the work we get to do in this industry is one of the best we could ever have. We are getting paid (a lot) to learn, solve problems, and literally play with tools and technologies. Most of all, we are helping people with our solutions (that’s why they pay us a lot). We get to have an impact!

I’m very well-adjusted at work already, and I’m looking for even more challenge. I’ve always had this itch to help people who are self-teaching. I just don’t know specifically what to do.

I’m loving JavaScript, React, and TypeScript right now. If you’re learning that now, or planning to, can you tell me about your struggles? Questions? Concerns? Any thoughts?

I want to create free content outside of work to keep my sources of fulfillment going! Can you help me?

you could contribute to freecodecamp! each challenge has a guide article, you can contribute to those opening a topic in #contributors , all of those would benefit from being checked over. Above all the later backend certs

If you would like to be one of the developer authors for Free Code Camp News, you can find everything you need to know in the Publication Style Guide, or read here about how to contribute to freeCodeCamp’s YouTube channel. Alternatively, you can find everything else about contributing to Free Code Camp in the contributing docs.

1 Like

Hi @kerledem !

There are a few things you can do.

First and probably most important thing, it is to be active on the forum.
If you answer questions on here you will see what people tend to struggle with the most.

Of course, others can comment on this post with their personal struggles. But you can also research on the forum and get a sense of what people need help with the most.

Then you can cater your content based on that research.

You can apply to be an author for FCC news.

You can write for other publications like devto or medium.
You can also start your own youtube channel.

One last piece of advice is to remember who your audience is.

There are a lot of tutorials and articles that do not do a good job of explaining things to beginners because they forget what it is like to be a beginner.

I would study technical authors and other content creators that are respected by beginners. Understand why they are respected by beginners. And make sure to explain things thoroughly and not make assumptions about what beginners know.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hey @jwilkins.oboe

Thank you so much for your reply, your responses here are always full of actionable steps!

I definitely see a recurring theme and common topics being asked here, and I’m already planning on tackling those.

However I never thought of studying existing technical authors yet. I do agree a lot of tutorials forget what it’s like to be a beginner and I fear my own would be like that too. But as coders we know we can only improve by doing the work.

Thank you so much!

1 Like