When would it be appropriate to add contents next to the curly brackets for the math.random function?

Continuing the discussion from freeCodeCamp Challenge Guide: Generate Random Fractions with JavaScript:

The problem is illustrated below:

B. 
 // Only change code below this line.
for (var i = 0.5; i <= 1; i++ ){

}
 return Math.random(i);

// Only change code above this line.
}

Can you please be more specific about your question. I don’t understand what you are asking. The code that you posted is nonsensical.

1 Like

These are the instructions.

Random numbers are useful for creating random behavior.

JavaScript has a Math.random() function that generates a random decimal number between 0 (inclusive) and not quite up to 1 (exclusive). Thus Math.random() can return a 0 but never quite return a 1

Note
Like Storing Values with the Equal Operator, all function calls will be resolved before the return executes, so we can return the value of the Math.random() function.

Instructions
Change randomFraction to return a random number instead of returning 0.

The answer at the top is from the answer supplied by free code camp. basically using math.random . I cant explain it anymore.

There’s a problem with the code included in that guide post. The for loop doesn’t contain any code and is therefore pointless.
All you need to satisfy this challenge is:

function randomFraction() {

return Math.random();
}

Technically there is a small chance that this could return 0, which would fail a test. So you could do something like:

var result = 0;
  while (result === 0) {
    result = Math.random();
  }

return result;  
}
2 Likes

my original post (that was the asnwer supplied by one of the folks;

my original answer wa:

function randomFraction() { math.random();
return 4}

is that correct?

The following is an exercise that basically uses the return. In fact, it is the above exercise (using bum instead of num.)

function timesFive (bum) {return bum * 5;}
timesFive(3);  

so it looks like you can use paramaters after a return. The challenge said I passed it but I think it may have been a false positive for the math.random() function that was actually named randomFraction()

It was not a false positive. You used

return Math.random(i);

in your solution, which will return a random decimal number (the point of the challenge). The Math.random function does not have any parameters, so the i you passed in just gets ignored and so it has the same effect as:

return Math.random();
1 Like

Is this code a good practice ?

var temp = Math.random();
      if (temp === 0) 
      {
          randomFraction();
       }
      return temp;