Where do I Belong HELP Please

Tell us what’s happening:
I dont know why my code isnt worcking. what did i missed?

Your code so far

function getIndexToIns(arr, num) {
arr.sort();
for (let i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
 if (num < arr[i]) {
 return [i];

}

}

}

getIndexToIns([40, 82, 65, 22, 17, 18, 60], 50);

//trier l'array du plus petit au plus grand
//créer une boucle qui passe dans l'array
//comparer num à chaque item, et push num dans l'array quand il rencontre plus grand que lui

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:69.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/69.0.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-algorithm-scripting/where-do-i-belong

You are returning an array that has a value of i with index 0. Array is an object. You have to return a number. So, you have to return just an i instead of [i].

Try it out.

1 Like

.sort() method by default works well with strings, not so good with numbers. For sorting numbers use something like this:(asc)

arr.sort((a, b) => {
    return a - b;
});

For descending use return b-a;.
Also return i; not return [i]; .

1 Like

Ok so i worcked quite a long time on the solution, and i ended up with something that worck:

arr.sort(function(a, b) {return a-b});
for (let i = 0; i < arr.length || arr.length == 0; i++) {
 if (num <= arr[i]) {
 return i;

}else if (num > Math.max(...arr)) {
   return arr.length;
 }
 }

}

console.log(getIndexToIns([], 1));
getIndexToIns([2, 5, 10], 15);

Though, i have 2 questions:

1. i tried to put || arr.length == 0 in my else if statement, but it doesnt worcked, so i tried to put it in my for, and bingo, but i dont really know why. Someone has the answer to this?

2. Im not forced to insert an “else” statement after an if, and / or an else if?

Thanks for your time

1. You don’t need the ||, you can shorten up with <=, like: i <= arr.length. But you need <= because in the case of
console.log(getIndexToIns([], 1));

arr equals 0. So you need to check to deal with the case that arr equals 0. If you don’t, when you have ([], 1), arr equals zero and your for loop won’t execute.

1. You don’t need a “else” statement after an “if” statement. But in your case you nested the else statement within the for loop (which is also why you needed to use i <= arr.length). It could be done with two “if” statements, and in the example below you don’t need to check if arr equals 0.
  // Find my place in this sorted array.
 arr.sort(function(a, b) {return a-b});
 for (let i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
  if (num <= arr[i]) {
  return i;
  }  
 };
 if (num > Math.max(...arr)) {
  return arr.length;
 }
};