Why? Learning roadmap

Hi, im currently studying computer science degree but im getting overwhelmed and frustrated by the curriculum in my college, im only learning very very basic c c++ html css vb.net and php also java with no big project no frameworks im studying full time, im also studying “unrelated” subject like operational research, logical maths, language theory, im really can’t figure out what real a developper is, i put steps by self learning in linux bash responsive web in fcc
I really can’t find similar curriculum like fcc for java or php all the tutos i found ethier cover only the basics or not guided,
I can’t find my path in this field the college make me hate computer science (note: im studing in well recognized college in my country) can’t any one help?

Note:srry for the bad english

Well I assuming you are learning the way you where thought in school.
Did you ever asked yourself if there isn’t another way for you to remeber things or to say study more effectiver?
For me it seems like the material is not the problem is the one lined thinking you are doing.

1 Like

Hi. It’s not very clear what you’re asking. It sounds like you feel frustrated with what you’re learning and you wish you could be building stuff and getting job-ready instead.

You say what you’re learning is very basic, so I’m guessing you’re in your first year? Not everybody comes into CS with programming experience so the university needs to get everybody up to speed before tackling harder stuff. Do you have any visibility of what you will be doing in later years? My son did a CS degree recently (in the UK) and there were definitely projects in the second and third years.

In any case it’s totally normal not to learn frameworks at university, those come and go so teaching them wouldn’t give you much value. The idea is that you’ll pick them up during jobs or internships. What the university wants is to give you good foundations for your whole career. Things move super-fast and you’ll always be learning. You don’t need to go to uni to learn the latest framework. What you need uni for is to teach you the hard stuff, the science behind programming. It will inform your decisions as a developer for years to come.

My advice is hang in there, it’s all worth it and it will get better. Work hard on the theory and continue experimenting with the stuff you’re intrigued in. Surely you’re not alone in this, there might be some kind of programming club you could join? If you can find friends to build things with, you would get a taste of what a real programmer does, which is, mainly, working with others. Use git for all your projects and make sure your code is readable.

One last thing: If you want to learn advanced stuff in any language, go for books. They go into a lot more depth than tutorials. Given the price of professional books, the university library is one of the greatest resources you have access to, don’t hesitate to use it.

1 Like

What do u mean by one line thing

Im in second year there is some projects like school management system, storage management, library… But the projects has basic functionality i feel my self limited … Exemple :
School mangement:
Project about add/remove teachers, student…,add time table teachers students… Add modify students marks…
I can’t add messaging functionality
Ugly UI/UX (java)
Marks table have ugly layout
Unable to add export(pdf) functionality
Here is exemple of the limitation im feeling
I Google and i found uncomptibale soultion… ( I hope that u understand me…)

I want similar curriculum like fcc for java and php, ways and methods to go deeper into languages and make good projects…
Thanks for the good explanation btw

For Java maybe look into Oracle’s tutorials. They’re not interactive like fcc tutorials but if you want to go beyond the basics you might not have a choice.

Or ask whoever is supervising your projects for advice. If they’re satisfied you’ve already done everything they asked for, they might be happy to point you to more advanced material.

1 Like

It’s pretty common for a Computer Science degree to introduce the fundamentals of several languages, but not to go particularly in-depth on any of them. The idea is that once you have learned how to learn a language, you can pick up the details pretty quickly. The core of computer science is not tied to any particular language. You’ll bounce languages fairly often. In courses like Data Structures or Design and Analysis of Algorithms the professor might want you to use the language they are most familiar in or they may allow you to complete assignments in any language. Other classes, like Operating Systems, will be tied to a language by their nature and you’ll be expected to build on your introductory classes to get the work done. Maths, language theory, research, etc, aren’t “unrelated” to computer science. They are fundamental to it. The difference between a traditional university degree and something like freeCodeCamp or a paid bootcamp is that it isn’t designed to prepare you to get a particular job in a particular language.

1 Like

@ArielLeslie thank y , So any sources to go deeper on php or java for exemple ?

I always used a combination of the textbooks, Google, and asking classmates/TAs/professors for help.

1 Like

Thank you :heart: all for the replys

Many people feel the same way. Most CS programs just teach the basics, but you will learn more that those without a degree when it comes to math and algorithms. I recommend some Udemy courses for extra study. Brad Traversy has some nice courses on Udemy. Stick with your program. Your BS will take you much further than you would get without it.

2 Likes

What one line thing? I said on line thinking?

1 Like

Ohh it was typo srry, what do u mean by on line thinking?

I will check it out thnx

Well what do you think/assume it means?

Really idk can u tell me?

It referese back to the first part of the scentence meaning you only have being doing the same line of thinking aka the school way for years now

1 Like