Work environment? Share your experience!

I was given a selfie stick at work a little while back, so I just happen to have this picture of my workspace on hand. (Yes, that’s an FCC sticker on my work laptop.) ArielLeslie's cubicle

I work for a very large company as a Software Developer. My development is primarily in JavaScript and my automated testing is done in Java.

Because I moved an hour away from my office my manager has allowed me to flex my hours to avoid traffic, so I work roughly 7-4. He also lets me work from home once a week if I need to (I usually choose not to) and encourages me to work from home any time road conditions might be bad. I have a company provided laptop, dock, and monitor at home (as well as a monitor of my own, of course).

My coworkers are great and the reason that I decided to stay at this job when I moved is that I am on an incredibly friction-free team. (Plus, I hate job hunting.)

Overall, I like being a corporate sellout. I need that level of stability in my life right now. Before working here I was at a startup-ish company. I definitely had access to a much faster advancement path but there was a real failure to form and communicate clear (and reasonable) expectations. Bureaucratic bloat brings a lot of overhead to my current job, but I have a manager that protects developers from that as much as he can.

16 Likes