3 questions: english level, programming languages and portfolio

3 questions: english level, programming languages and portfolio

Hello campers. I really have 3 questions:
1- my english level is good but not perfect, so this will not enable me for working remotely or even freelance?
please tell me as I can improve my english.
2- I have found some programming jobs need a developer who knows specific programming languages which I did not learn some of them, so how can I apply for these jobs without knowing some of these specific languages? or how can I find jobs suitable for what I learned?
3- I am new here and I have heard about portfolio and its projects. What are these projects? are they websites, apps and softwares which I created? and should I pay for any of them such as paying for hosting of the websites I created?
and many thanks in advance.

Sooooo…
1.) If your english isn’t that good you can visit Duolingo or Khan Academy. Or you can find work within your own language.

2.) If they are looking for languages you don’t know. You can apply you won’t have the upper hand on getting the job. Try building your site portfolio. Try get into the computer world through forms and respiratory sites like Github. Social media like Linkedin.

3.) Projects are just stuff you are working on. Or have completed. You usually put links to your projects or your projects on your website.

Hi @migha2
I will try to reply for many as i can : :wink:

First Point english : I don’t know what is specific level in english needed in jobs as i had never worked before,

but I will think with you, if they need online conversation such as Skype or something you may need to increase your ability to listen and reply in english, if it is mailing or written english, so google translation is your friend, I don’t know what is your language but try to understand and speak it much, it may not be needed to be a “native” but just try to be better continuously :slight_smile:

Second Point : It depends on the company or where you will work, as far as I know you may apply to whatever you want, but if the company has already build a system with a specific language, and they need a developer they will need the developer with this specific language, if not and they only need a developer with some random language but they specify a language, its not needed and they may accept you as if you are a good developer

Third Point : the projects are every thing you did here or any thing you have coded by yourself, Here in freecodecamp you will face 10 projects that you can code them directly in codepen.io a free hosting for your single pages , ""they websites, apps and software which I created"" Exactly but not paying for them you just create them to show others that you can code good :slight_smile:

That’s as far as I know :wink:
have a good day

thanks so much for your reply. I do appreciate

thanks so much for your reply. I really do appreciate

Only more question please
If I created a website or software for someone, how can I prove that I am the creator of them when I put their links on my portfolio?

For website, can you add a commented section which states your name as the creator? If this is created for someone else, you would need to get their permission probably unless you had it as part of your terms of service. Also, ask the person for whom you created the website to give you an endorsement on LinkedIn or at least an email or written letter stating how much they were satisfied with your work. These suggestions are just some quick thoughts. I am sure others will give more detailed responses.

thanks so much for your helpful reply. waiting other opinions

What Randell said pretty much sums it up. You can try asking people you know if you can build them a website. I found a friend who was trying to start an aerial photography hobby. I offered to build him a WordPress website for free if he would let me put my name on it and give me a testimonial. I completed the project, and now I have his word and the website as proof of my skills. Among other things, you could hide a random comment inside the website or take pictures of you developing the code. I don’t think you really need to worry about this too much. Most people trust that when you put a project on your portfolio that you did it. If it looks way beyond your capabilities and much more difficult than your open-source projects, they can always contact the company itself and ask who made it, but most of the time it should be obvious that you made it yourself. Also, if you host the project yourself, you can easily prove that you made it by showing them the code.

In case you are curious, here is the website and endorsement from my friend:

zobelaerialphotography.com
(I built more features into the site than are there… unfortunately he hasn’t had the time to complete the video and portfolio sections I setup for him :disappointed:)

Isaac Abrahamson designs websites for customers who want to showcase their business or hobbies on the internet in style. Isaac made a professional website for my business exactly how I wanted it, and then he went way beyond my expectations and made it even better. Even though he’s fairly new to the world of computer science and hasn’t been working on websites for very long, he is still extremely knowledgeable in computer programming and in website design. He always tries to do his best when helping customers with their website needs and he learns from any mistake he makes so that he can become even better. Isaac Abrahammson is a friendly computer professional who goes above and your expectations doesn’t quit until you are completely satisfied with his service. I would highly recommend hiring him for any of your website needs.

It will hurt your chances. Won’t make it impossible though.

Most employees don’t really care about which language you’re proficient with. Programming is a skill that is easily transferable to different languages and frameworks. That said, you have to know how good of a programmer you are, and if you are fit to fulfill the position at a specific job. Don’t expect people to train you at the job.
That said, usually you specialize in a set of tools (languages, databases, frameworks, etc…) and apply only for jobs that fit that criteria, or otherwise jobs you think you could do anyway. I was recently hired as a ruby developer, having 0 ruby experience. The employer just liked my javascript portfolio/cover letter.

All projects are websites, in one way or another. Visit www.freecodecamp.com (in case you discovered only the forums).

wow thanks so much for your helpful reply and your website is perfect

thanks so much for the great information