A bit of advice please

Hello, I’m just trying to mess around and teach myself how to design a website from scratch.

Would anyone be able to tell me how I would make the font size of the ‘name’ form buttons slightly smaller, and to also make them black as opposed to red. I’m not entirely sure why they have come up red on the live server, as I didn’t think I had assigned a colour.

Secondly, it is showing up as I have 4 problems in the css file. I don’t fully understand what this is telling me, and why is it showing a problem if it has displayed correctly in live server? It’s not allowing me to put more than one picture, so I will post the one relating to the css problems on another message.

Thank you.

The picture in this message will show the css file that has the red marks where the problems are.

Where it says First name and Last name. It is showing red at the minute and I want it black.

Hi @Onale101,

First, it would be much better that you share the code in a way we can copy it and mention it. To share your code, you can send a link if you project is available that way or use the performed text:

Now to answer point by point with what I see on your screenshots.

how I would make the font size of the ‘name’ form buttons slightly smaller, and to also make them black as opposed to red. I’m not entirely sure why they have come up red on the live server, as I didn’t think I had assigned a colour.

You seem to have many files into that project, including CSS files. It must have a rule that makes the things like this. You didn’t apply any style into the HTML (apparently), for the form tag. In fact it looks strange because you have CSS files, but in your ul list, for each li you use the style property. I would advice to keep every style for the CSS, and not to mix with the HTML code. So, if they are red, there is a rule that makes your name red. You have to find it and change the code directly from that property.

The properties useful here would be:

• font-size: your_size;
  • color: your_color;

For second wondering.

it is showing up as I have 4 problems in the css file. I don’t fully understand what this is telling me, and why is it showing a problem if it has displayed correctly in live server? It’s not allowing me to put more than one picture, so I will post the one relating to the css problems on another message.

The difference between HTML/CSS and other type of languages is that you can have a lot of mistakes and style have a result, visually talking, that seems ok for a user. The error messages are syntax messages. It tells you that something is missing.

Example:

p {
  color: red /* this is a syntax issue, the semi-colon is missing */
  font-size: 0.9rem;

From here, I don’t know if you have deep knowledge about CSS, you should maybe try to learn it deeper or do a refresh if you already know it.

Thank you LucLH. Apologies, i am completely new to all of this. Next time I will make sure that I send the code so that its easier to read, once I figure out how. I’ve literally started teaching myself a few days ago from having no coding knowledge at all, so my knowledge is very very little at the minute. I think what you have said has made sense to me so thank you again for the advice.

That’s cool, we were all starting out once.

I’ve literally started teaching myself a few days ago from having no coding knowledge at all…

I should also point out that we have a curriculum that is free, online, and self-paced. There is the Visit the Curriculum button in the upper left corner of this page.

1 Like

Thanks Kevin. Appreciate it.

Really no need to apology, it is all fine! We are all here to help each other and we all started somewhere.

That’s why I advice you to follow some course for HTML and CSS, even just the basics, just for that you get into it. As said @kevinSmith, freeCodeCamp has a curriculum about this and it is a good point to start or refresh the knowledge. When we start to develop, we all want to start to do cool project directly, but we all need the theory part a little bit and what’s good with this curriculum is that you practice in the same time and it’s in that way you can remember the things.

I give you the link if you are interested to start this curriculum: Responsive Web Design

Good luck in your new road and never hesitate to ask when you have questions :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.