Am I doing it right

i’m in the Advanced Algorithms section and i’m going to be completely honest I don’t know how to do exactly what they want(i understand push() …etc just not how to take it from syntax to real live code). I’ll go to the get hint and read all of it. then copy the relevent links, code, and code explanation into my notebook(exactly how it looks on the guide). then i’ll hand type the code into the FCC compiler boom Item complete. is there a better way.

If you think you are not understanding, then don’t be afraid to ask in the forum - many people have posts along the line of “I finished but don’t understand why it works…”

As to understanding better, I would suggest copying the code into codepen and messing with it. Try to break it. Put console.log statements in there so you can see exactly what is happening each step of the way.

Algorithms are a different way of thinking. To some it comes naturally, others have to work for it. But I think everyone can get it if they work at it. (And that may just mean that some other part of the job will come easier for you.) And each algorithm you learn gets your brain a little more aligned to that way of thinking.

Also, if you search on the web (and especially youtube) you might find someone explaining it.

Is there a particular challenge that is problematic? Start a new thread in the forum and see if we can sort it out. I’m sure your not the only one.

Here’s what you should be getting from the algorithms, first it’s not easy to everyone - you are learning a new thinking style and problem solving skills - it will take time but as time goes on you’ll get better at it - before I started doing algos I hadn’t studied up on many concepts that I should of - luckily while the algos teach you problem solving - they also make you go back and completely read the MDN documents you might of skipped over before - sometimes you’ll need to do further research - luckily there’s the forum and Gitter Chatrooms to help you when you get stuck.

Make sure that if you go that route that you are completely reading every link and document they provide, that you understand why the code works and how it works, if you are understanding those things then the challenges are making you a better developer and that’s the importance of the algo challenges. The more reading you do before hand, the more you attempt to solve before resorting to reading the spoilers that explain everything to you in great detail will help develop those problem solving skills which is one of the most important things about the algo challenges.

ohhh, so they want me to do all the reading on MDN, cause i am learning a lot. i just want to get where i just remember everything but it’s probably gonna be months til then lolololol.

It will just take time, but the more development you do the better you will get at it :slight_smile:

Read read till you understand a little and see the tests as they mentioned what should be expected output. I think you’re overthinking. Just enjoy solving them even if you don’t understand it completely. Don’t rush. Enjoy learning. And BTW I am in advanced algorithm too. Currently doing Symmetric Differences

Very true, reading does take up time but it’s essential to learning.

It’s less about remembering everything and more about feeling confident enough to pace yourself - it’s knowing that if you go through certain problem-solving steps incrementally and iteratively you will find a solution that is good enough - the experience you gain working problem after problem is as much about learning how not to solve a problem as it is about how to solve problems - it helps to not jump into code too early and to not be married to a solution just because code has been written for it

I see what you mean, in the debris algorithm I was set on making var and did so to complete the challenge but i couldn’t help but READing, and i found a fellow who simply mutated it so it only took one line of code basically.

function orbitalPeriod(arr) {
var GM = 398600.4418;
var earthRadius = 6367.4447;
return {,