American Millenial Expat: I need a job in 12 weeks

(post deleted by author)

7 Likes

Hi there,

First, congrats for overcoming your gaming “addiction”. I too like gaming but i always try to have a balance in things. No, about your question, it seems that you have a good understanding in both ends, front and back, so what to do now? Create one or two CRUD apps, so you can show that you’ve worked on all areas of the app.

Agile and scrums you will only need to know the basics, you will learn most of it in the job, as working with other devs. The best practices, you will need to read a book or two about those, but keep in mind that those are general practices, you will learn that it depends on the company. Most of them have their own practices.

You seem to be job ready, so did start sending your cv to score some interviews? If not, practice your interview skills until you get one. But never forget, always be 100% real, don’t try to say that you build x or know how to do y if you don’t know. It’s expected that you don’t know everything, you’re still a junior, remember that.

3 Likes

urg, the costing of living in Denver is very high, and many dev jobs underpay here. I work for a company in Austin so I can afford to keep living in Colorado.

Somethings to work on:
Learn Git - you will need to know this if you don’t. Only mentioning because I dont’ see it on there.
Spend some time on algorithms. At least in Denver, many jobs test on them.

4 Likes

If you want to work with other people and practice agile, try applying to Chingu and take the initiative as project manager. If you can organize a team to see a project through from beginning to end, then you have accomplished some thing pretty impressive.

However, it does sound like your greatest enemy is yourself. Following through has been an issue for you in the past. Really be mindful of that and lean on those close to you to keep you on track and motivated.

Beyond that, just apply, apply, apply, craft your resume to suit the job descriptions, get human feedback as often as you can, and be assertive about job search and getting feedback. It’s a process.

2 Likes

I followed a similar path. Lived in Korea for four years teaching English, and spent the last year and a half learning to code. Now work as a front end dev using Angular.

Looking at your portfolio, it is clear that you have solid front end skills. The app is well-presented and professional. But employers will want to know that you are capable of working on large, real world projects.

My advice would be this: stay in China another year, enjoy the food, and learn how to build full stack apps.

After all, what’s the rush?

4 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Sorry for the very late response. About the rejections, you will get many and it is part of it. Keep applying, you will get the job.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

Remember that you don’t have to match the job “requirements” to a T. The job description is the ideal candidate that most employers never find, unless they set the bar really low by their standards. So have confidence in yourself, apply apply apply!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

3 Likes

Keep going friend, I would like to hear how it goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

3 Likes

@Anon551122, I was an English teacher in South Korea for six years before getting my first job, so your story really resonates with me. It seems like you’re making great progress on landing a developer job, and I just wanted to cheer you on with everyone else in the comments. Enjoy your backpacking trip and keep us posted!

1 Like

You’re making great progress, keep going I know it is tough out there but I know you’ll make it!!!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Hey! I teach in Korea too. I am finishing my 3rd (and final) year-long contract here in August. Been developing for several years, but not a lot of hours per week. However, I’d say I’m at roughly the same level skills-wise as you.

I’m looking to pick up some minimal React Native and/or Python 3 projects for my portfolio before going back. I would be open to staying in Korea, unfortunately, most jobs are conducted in Korean and I am a solid 3-4/10 on that front… Maybe you can empathize, with Mandarin being even harder to get good at!

It was really reassuring to read through your thread though, so I wanted to say thanks. Going home and getting into another field at the same time can seem scary, and that makes it easy to stay just one more year. You helped me remember why I’m not doing that this year.

Looking forward to an update, sounds promising :smile:

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

3 Likes