American Millenial Expat: I need a job in 12 weeks

Keep us updated and congratulations on Chicago.

1 Like

Congratulations! You’re a good example for all of us.

1 Like

Excellent news! Well done!

Week 11 - Skype Number! NOOOOOOOooooooo! They are so expensive! I ditched Skype numbers years ago and found a VoIP number provider for much, much less. You can use the numbers with softphones and hardware phones.

I want to get out of the teaching English rut. I’m in China, too, At least in a US tech company you may have more career options.
I’ll be staying in China, got a family and house here, but I wouldn’t want to work for a Chinese dev company purely because labour in China is so cheap. Unless English-speaking devs are in high demand in China, I can’t imagine it would match my current salary.

I’ll probably freelance after if/when I get my green card, and not have a boss to answer to. Well, other than the clients of course.

Well done to you, and I hope you do well.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your story, @Anon551122. :smiley: I’m on the same boat!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Hey @Anon551122 , how much are you getting paid for that job in Chicago?

Thank you for the words! @Anon551122:smiley:

I really like my current company and location, however I’m a wee bit jealous of your salary :wink:

That said, you are absolutely deserving of it and I’m seriously happy for you. 22K was truly too little to survive off of, even with a stipend or living expenses covered.

Let us know how they treat you and your day to day. Overtime, if they gave you great benefits, if you got remote. Realistic expectations…etc. And of course if you’re happy :slight_smile:

Helps those of us who eventually will become senior devs in a few years.

2 Likes

Congrats! You have shared a very good story.
Interestingly, you used to live in China and work as an English teacher, and now back to US to be a paid developer, while I am a Chinese who lives and work in Netherlands (not easy. not about the job, it’s about as a foreigner) as a junior developer.

Keep up!

BTW not ad, but I really wish to have more people sharing similar experiences follow my YouTube Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkar8FNGPj2L1kZzLa54CpQ?view_as=subscriber

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Hey @Anon551122, thanks for sharing.
I need your help, I have completed the Fcc curriculum and completed the projects which now serves as my portfolio. I have been applying for jobs through indeed, but none has turned out.

Pls is there any easier way of doing this?
Here is my portfolio, don’t know if it not go enough.
https://sammychris.github.io

2 Likes

hey @Anon551122 what is the latest my friend, dropped off here for a little bit but back now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your github and your perseverance are impressive man, I follow you on github in case there is an opportunity one day

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

3 Likes

Thanks for that, I hope that opportunity comes someday. I just followed you back on github.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, This has been one of the most helpful to me.
I will do as you’ve suggested, in case of any challenges or feedback, I will not hesitate to let you know.

Thanks once again, I’m so grateful.

1 Like

Hey Ethan, all going well cheers. Glad to hear about your job! Well done sir :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done, happy for you! Got an October update for us?

1 Like