American US phone number

Tell us what’s happening:
i had apply a match method to my string to verify if the number is edit like american number or not like this :

function telephoneCheck(str) {
if (str.match(/[0-9]/)&& str.length === 10) {
return true
}
else if(str.match(/([0-9]$ ^1 -{0,2} " "{0,3} “(” “)”)) {
return true
} else {
return false
}
}
Your code so far

function telephoneCheck(str) {

console.log(str.match(/([0-9]$  ^1 " "{3})/)) 
}
telephoneCheck("1 456 789 4444");

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.114 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Telephone Number Validator

Link to the challenge:

Hi. Do you have a question? I suppose you would like to know why your code is not working? There are a few problems. It might be easier for you to use regex testing websites like https://regex101.com? They provide explanations and syntax highlighting, so you will quickly understand what is wrong with your regex.

Problem 1

The regex on the following line tests if any character is a digit:

if (str.match(/[0-9]/)&& str.length === 10) {

So these strings would all match:

• number 1!! contains a number, so it matches
  • 123456789! contains numbers, match

You want to test if all characters are digits:

if (str.match(/^[0-9]+$/) && str.length === 10) {
// or
if (str.match(/^\d+$/) && str.length === 10) {
// or
if (str.match(/^\d{10}$/)) {

Problem 2

I think you should handle the country code, so /^1?\d{10}$/ is probably better (read: maybe a '1', followed by ten digits).

Problem 3

The regex on the following line contains multiple errors.

else if(str.match(/([0-9]$ ^1 -{0,2} " "{0,3} “(” “)”)) {
  1. You are using double quotation marks (", and ) all over the place. They have no special meaning in a regex, so the only character they can match is themselves. I think you want to escape the brackets (( and )), but that doesn’t work. The correct way to escape a bracket is like so: \( and \).
  2. A regular expression should begin and end with a slash* (/), but this one does not end properly => syntax error.
  3. You put $ before ^, which means ‘my regex should match when the end occurs before the beginning of a string’. This is impossible. $ must occur after ^. Also you can’t require any text before the beginning of the string or after the end, so ^ should be first and $ should be last. *
  4. Like in the previous regex you only check if there is any digit in the string.
  5. Your use of quantifiers is a bit odd: -{0,2} means that you want zero, one or two dashes (-) in a row. It does not mean that they can occur anywhere within the string. You seem to think that the order in a regex does not matter, but it absolutely does.

Here’s an explanation how to match the format (555)555-5555:

//explanation:  '(' | 3 digits | ')' | 3 digits | '-' | 4 digits
//           /^ \(      \d{3}    \)      \d{3}     -      \d{4} $/ 

In reality the regex should not contain spaces, so it would be used like this:

str.match(/^\(\d{3}\)\d{3}-\d{4}$/)

You don’t seem to fully understand how regular expressions work, yet. Maybe it helps to go over the lessons again or look elsewhere for a tutorial (in your native language if it’s not English)? This is not a topic that is easy to understand for beginners.
Good luck!

(*: Not strictly true, but I don’t want to complicate things.)

1 Like

thanks my friend for the explanation.you are good

How can i create a space symbol inside regex?

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.