Anybody tried out Yoga?

I had/ have the upper back pain. yoga helped a lot. Especially the cobra pose. Bet the real voldemort would recommend this too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yoga with Adrienne is great! I have back issues, as well (from a bad spill down the stairs after having surgery and a c-section a few months before.) Her videos specifically for back issues are amazing.

1 Like

Yes I do. I currently drive for work(8-10 hr) and practice coding(3-4 hr) daily. As you can see this is a lot of time on my bum bum.

Unfortunatly yoga is the only physical activity I can dedicate time for while I focus more on coding in 2018.

“Yoga With Adrienne” sounds like a hit, which I will look into.

Thanks! :+1:

Her and Yoga with Tim are definitely my personal favorites.
Adriene has helped me target the painful areas of my body, whereas Tim has a much stronger Yoga foundation, and its style I find it easier to follow, and more dynamic, mind you his forum is full of crazed-up horny women who constantly post sexually aggressive comments.
He always delivers and you will break out a nice sweat.

Hi,
I was so surprised to bump into your post and I’ve got to tell you I love FIVE PARKS Yoga.
I started practice daily roughly since April, 2017. Just like you, I used to be bother by holding bad postures for long time with no awareness.
Ever since my daily practice, my muscles grew stronger with more flexibility and such uneasiness reduced.
Five Parks Yoga is instructed and demonstrated by Erin. I love her voice and her style. Commonsense way of talking, not particularly trying to be soft and soothing. You can find her channel on YouTube with different playlists.
Long story short, I hope you explore and enjoy. Personal experience, daily practice doesn’t have to be long, just go ahead with 15 to 20 minutes. No need to be challenging either, you’ll get there and time is on your side.
My 2018 resolution is to continue daily yoga practice as well as FCC coding challenges.
Check it out and hope it helps.

1 Like

Learning yoga from Youtube is a great start and I recommend you look for teachers that show precision in their asana (postures). Precision is important to properly activate the body and avoid injury over time. Precision includes alignment of the joints and limbs and is vital for establishing a sense of one’s personal boundaries - defining the edges of our unique body.

Once we can find the edges (our current physical limit) we can explore extension through awareness (the experience of our body through feeling). This includes feelings and emotions, both of which arise when we apply effort into the asana.

Our focus on precision is critical in bringing out awareness into all of the shadows in the body and enables us to begin to use all of the fibres, muscles and ligaments within an asana. Every asana is a compound exercise and ultimately will draw our awareness into our breathing.

Over time, our body will reconfigure. Yoga is actually designed to reconfigure our breathing system, our chest, lungs and diaphragm, etc, to breath properly. Where breathing is awareness and full of feeling and energy.

However, beware of pushing too much. Pushing causes us to feel less and results in ignorance and movement away from the benefits of yoga asana. So, precision allows us to apply effort, to define the edges within an asana, and then we pull back our effort just enough to feel everything we can in that moment.

Within the experience of the asana feeling will allow us to perceive feedback from the body. This feedback is generally felt as an unlocking, where we get an ah-ha! moment as the body expresses insight into how we can deepen into the asana. This is fundamental in the human organism and we begin to witness insight in our physical body. However, this same mechanism is fundamental to our emotions and thoughts, too. It’s just easier to see it in the body. first.

This is the basis of our intelligence that arises spontaneously within this human organism. it is available to everyone and yoga is one way to begin to feel it and allow it to work well. Other physical disciplines that develop awareness and direct feeling and insight include Tai Chi, Kym Nye, Chi Gung, some forms of Martial arts. Yog translates as “discipline”, as does Kung Fu. A discipline that arises through energy rather than mental force).

So, from finding good teachers that can present precision in their asana a student can get a taste of yoga from a Youtube video and perhaps discover that they have an interest in the practice. From there they can discover the different forms of yoga and then attend some classes.

Try different styles of yoga. There are two primary yoga institutions in the world: Astanga and Iyengar. Variations of Astanga include Vinyasa and Vinyasa Flow, power yoga, etc.

Ultimately, yoga asana is a preliminary practice that leads towards subtle body awareness through breath work (Pranayama). As subtle body awareness develops, deepens and is enriched, the practitioner can eventually learn and apply the practice of meditation. So, the sequence of development is Asana > Pranayama > Meditation.

However, all three can occur during Asana to various degrees.

I would say that, very quickly, a student will need to attend the classes of a good teacher. The body is unbelievably nuanced and profound and a student needs to receive direct feedback and guidance in the application of asana by a good teacher, which means they need to be in the physical presence of the teacher.

I would recommend Iyengar yoga. It’s what i practice. One of the great things about this method is that it is created for many different body types. The use of props also assist people with difficulty in applying asana and later to help direct students’ attention to feel and experience specific locations within their bodies to deepen their practice. Eventually, the practitioner does not require props and is fully directed by their internal expression of the asana.

Yoga is designed to develop feeling. If we feel properly we have so much more access to this amazing physiology. With proper feeling we begin to develop insight, which arises more often as we struggle less with our own confusion. Concentration also arises naturally, which improves our ability to focus. The mind becomes bright, like a furnace. Discipline deepens naturally as a result.

3 Likes

I was going to suggest this same one. I love Yoga with Adrian.

1 Like

now I am practicing yoga every day

I started practising yoga when I noticed that I quickly get out of myself. So such sessions helped me to find a balance in my life and be more positive. Also it was a good way to start losing weight program and try vacuum therapy. Now I am completely happy person and I try to involve my friends into yoga too.