Arithmetic Formatter - can't get Replit IDE to accept solution

**Tell us what’s happening:

I am trying to complete the Arithmetic Formatter challenge. I have been working on it all day and I think I’ve got it right. When using my code in Pycharm, as far as I can tell, the correct output is shown for the test cases test_arrangement and test_solutions, which are detailed in the test_module.py file. However, when putting my code in the replit IDE, I fail these two cases.

An example of an output in pycharm is shown in the attached picture. I appreciate that my code is not the most efficient or fastest way to get a solution but I can’t see what’s wrong with it besides that. Any help would be appreciated. **

My code so far: https://replit.com/@angaar96/boilerplate-arithmetic-formatter#arithmetic_arranger.py

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.106 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Arithmetic Formatter

Link to the challenge:

You’re not returning the results, so except for the error cases your function has no output.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:
It’s funny how I can code all of that and forget something as simple as returning. Thanks a million!!!

No problem. If you look at the error messages they’ll tell you what’s wrong. Took me a while to see it, but it’s right here:

AssertionError: None != '   32         1      45      123\n- 698 [90 chars] 172'

ie, your null output does not equal this string that I was expecting.

3 Likes

Ah, I see. I couldn’t understand what it meant before, I thought it was to do with the statements containing None in the code, but now it makes much more sense. Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.