Arithmetic Formatter: What is wrong with my code?

Tell us what’s happening:
Describe your issue in detail here.

Hi everyone.
I don’t really know what is wrong with my code. It seems to work locally however, I am failing all the tests. Could someone help me to identify why I am failing the tests. Below is my code

def arithmetic_arranger(problems, show = False):
    """ This function  receives a list of strings that are arithmetic problems and returns the problems arranged vertically and side-by-side.
        parameters
        problems : a list of strings that are arithmetic problems

"""
    # variable names
    first_line = ""
    second_line = ""
    dash_line = ""
    result_line = ""

# Situations that will return an error
    if len(problems) > 5:
        return print("Error: Too many problems.")

for string in problems:
        operand1 = string.split()[0]
        operand2 = string.split()[2]
        operator = string.split()[1]

if (operator != "-") & (operator != "+"):
            return print("Error: Operator must be '+' or '-'.")

if (not operand1.isdigit()) | (not operand2.isdigit()):
             return print("Error: Numbers must only contain digits.")

if (len(operand1) > 4) | (len(operand2)) > 4:
            return print("Error: Numbers cannot be more than four digits.")

dash_len = max(len(operand1), len(operand2)) + 2
        result = eval(string)

# Conversion in case of correct format supplied by the user
        first_line = first_line + " " * (dash_len - len(operand1)) + operand1 + " " * 4
        second_line = second_line + operator + " " * (dash_len - 1 - len(operand2)) + operand2 + " " * 4
        dash_line = dash_line + "-" * dash_len  + " " * 4
        result_line = result_line + " " * (dash_len - len(str(result))) + str(result) + " " * 4

first_line = first_line[:-4]        # This is the line of upper operands including spaces
    second_line = second_line[:-4]      # This is the line of lower operands, including the operator and spaces
    dash_line = dash_line[:-4]          # This is the dashed line below the first two lines. It also includes spaces
    result_line = result_line[:-4]      # This is the result line to display the evaluation of operations

vert_ops = first_line + '\n' + second_line + '\n' + dash_line

if show:
        arranged_problems = print(vert_ops + '\n' + result_line)
        return arranged_problems
    else:
        arranged_problems = print(vert_ops)
        return arranged_problems

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.124 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Arithmetic Formatter

Link to the challenge:

are you sure that returning the output of a print statement is what you want to do?

2 Likes

If you got such a question, please provide at least the actual error messages, maybe even a link to your project :wink:

Here is the link to my project
https://replit.com/@JoeArmel/boilerplate-arithmetic-formatter#arithmetic_arranger.py

Below are the error messages

 python main.py
   32      3801      45      123
+ 698    -    2    + 43    +  49
-----    ------    ----    -----
None
    3      3801      45      123
+ 855    -    2    + 43    +  49
FError: Operator must be '+' or '-'.
FError: Numbers must only contain digits.
F   32         1      45      123
- 698    - 3801    + 43    +  49
 -666     -3800      88      172
FError: Numbers cannot be more than four digits.
FError: Too many problems.
F
======================================================================
FAIL: test_arrangement (test_module.UnitTests)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/runner/boilerplate-arithmetic-formatter/test_module.py", line 10, in test_arrangement
    self.assertEqual(actual, expected, 'Expected different output when calling "arithmetic_arranger()" with ["3 + 855", "3801 - 2", "45 + 43", "123 + 49"]')
AssertionError: None != '    3      3801      45      123\n+ 855 [56 chars]----' : Expected different output when calling "arithmetic_arranger()" with ["3 + 855", "3801 - 2", "45 + 43", "123 + 49"]

FAIL: test_incorrect_operator (test_module.UnitTests)
  File "/home/runner/boilerplate-arithmetic-formatter/test_module.py", line 24, in test_incorrect_operator
    self.assertEqual(actual, expected, '''Expected calling "arithmetic_arranger()" with a problem that uses the "/" operator to return "Error: Operator must be '+' or '-'."''')
AssertionError: None != "Error: Operator must be '+' or '-'." : Expected calling "arithmetic_arranger()" with a problem that uses the "/" operator to return "Error: Operator must be '+' or '-'."

FAIL: test_only_digits (test_module.UnitTests)
  File "/home/runner/boilerplate-arithmetic-formatter/test_module.py", line 34, in test_only_digits
    self.assertEqual(actual, expected, 'Expected calling "arithmetic_arranger()" with a problem that contains a letter character in the number to return "Error: Numbers must only contain digits."')
AssertionError: None != 'Error: Numbers must only contain digits.' : Expected calling "arithmetic_arranger()" with a problem that contains a letter character in the number to return "Error: Numbers must only contain digits."

FAIL: test_solutions (test_module.UnitTests)
  File "/home/runner/boilerplate-arithmetic-formatter/test_module.py", line 39, in test_solutions
    self.assertEqual(actual, expected, 'Expected solutions to be correctly displayed in output when calling "arithmetic_arranger()" with arithmetic problems and a second argument of `True`.')
AssertionError: None != '   32         1      45      123\n- 698 [90 chars] 172' : Expected solutions to be correctly displayed in output when calling "arithmetic_arranger()" with arithmetic problems and a second argument of `True`.

FAIL: test_too_many_digits (test_module.UnitTests)
  File "/home/runner/boilerplate-arithmetic-formatter/test_module.py", line 29, in test_too_many_digits
    self.assertEqual(actual, expected, 'Expected calling "arithmetic_arranger()" with a problem that has a number over 4 digits long to return "Error: Numbers cannot be more than four digits."')
AssertionError: None != 'Error: Numbers cannot be more than four digits.' : Expected calling "arithmetic_arranger()" with a problem that has a number over 4 digits long to return "Error: Numbers cannot be more than four digits."

FAIL: test_too_many_problems (test_module.UnitTests)
  File "/home/runner/boilerplate-arithmetic-formatter/test_module.py", line 19, in test_too_many_problems
    self.assertEqual(actual, expected, 'Expected calling "arithmetic_arranger()" with more than five problems to return "Error: Too many problems."')
AssertionError: None != 'Error: Too many problems.' : Expected calling "arithmetic_arranger()" with more than five problems to return "Error: Too many problems."

Ran 6 tests in 0.036s

FAILED (failures=6)

Thanks for your remark. I am done :+1:

1 Like

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (’).

Take some time and actually read the error message, they are actually quite helpful now and later on :wink:
Most importantly the AssertionError shows first your output and then the expected output. So they told you that all your return values were None instead of text-strings.

You are right. I have fixed the problems. I was outputing print statements instead of strings values.
Thanks for your help. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.