Beginner question related to project

Hi everyone, I have just completed all my tutorials of responsive web design. I’m on the way to built my first tribute project. Can I setup my code on Github, and then transfer it to codepen ? If yes, how to transfer my setup code from Github?

From the FAQ:

Do I have to use CodePen for the front end projects?

As long as your code is publicly viewable, and you have a live demo, you can use whatever you want.

You can use GitHub pages or surge.sh as alternatives to CodePen.

Personally I suggest replit, you can use it to open github repos, and connect a github repo with a repl, and it works pretty much like codepen, even it it’s more versatile (more languages available, more files possible, you can upload images), you just have to have the test suite included as required

1 Like

As far as I know, CodePen doesn’t support a direct connection to GitHub (at least not for free accounts).

But if I setup my code on Github, how can I transfer my code from there to Codepen?
pls help.

You would need to manually copy it into CodePen. You don’t have to use CodePen. It’s just the service that freeCodeCamp recommends by default.

1 Like

you don’t have to use codepen, you can use replit which can have a direct connection with github

Thank you so much .
But if I’m not wrong, I’ve to use codepen in order to pass FCC challenge.

You don’t have to use codepen. You have to have a way to have a live version of the app and a place to show your code. The nice thing about codepen is that it easily takes care of both for you. And is your IDE/development environment.

I’m not sure what you mean by “Can I setup my code on Github”. Github is a great place to store/share your code, but it isn’t a development environment. You’re still going to need a place to develop your code. But what you can do is develop your code locally and store/share your code on github. Unfortunately, you will still need a place to host your app, to make a working version accessible to try out. Github doesn’t really do that… but there is git pages where you could set up some folders with working versions of your app.

As you can see, the “not codepen (or something like it)” approach is more complicated. i think that’s why people like doing the first projects on codepen - you can focus on learning the basics of coding instead of worrying about hosting and managing gits.

But there is no rule that you must use codepen. As long as you can provide a link to a working version of the app, then you’re good. If you want, you can provide a link in the footer of the app to the github repo so people can see the real code too.

1 Like

Thank you so much.
For clearing all my confusions.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.