What if I dont like Codepen?

Hi fellow campers,

The exercises for front end certification entails putting your code on codepen, or in other words creating a codepen app.

While I was solving the intermediate front end projects, I found myself creating my solutons on my PC in a breeze but spending weeks to get it to work on codepen. I have since resolved to using Github pages because it allows me upload my assets like fonts that might not be available on codepen.

I will like to ask if it is ok to down this path, afterall Github does reflect what development might be like in real life.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you.

From the FAQ:

Do I have to use CodePen for the front end projects?

As long as your code is publicly viewable, and you have a live demo, you can use whatever you want.

1 Like

@kevcomedia Thank you for the response.

Done with the mini guilt. :slight_smile:

+1 for Github Pages!

1 Like

I’m in the process of switching some projects from Codepen to my text editor, but having a lot of trouble with the links (to jQuery and Bootstrap for example). Anyone have tips or resources on this? thanks!

There’s a tiny Export button at the bottom right of CodePen’s editor. You should be able to download your code with the Export .zip option, with dependencies to libraries already taken care of for you.

2 Likes

I have my own site to upload to, so when I am doing a project in codepen, I automatically include the links. This includes Bootstrap, Jquery, Google Font, and the links to my css/js. The only advice I can give is get the order right or you will have some conflicts with codepen. It ended up teaching me to some lessons when my projects wouldn’t work correctly in codepen but loaded just fine when I did them in Notepad ++ / Chrome Console.

I am now in the habit of updating the codepen project, putting the files on github, and then uploading to my site. But the code is static and I have begun to learn how to link things correctly.

Portfolio Code Example

2 Likes