BOOTSTRAP?!?! yay or nay

BOOTSTRAP?!?! yay or nay
0.0 0

okay, so i very recently got into using bootstrap, like literally just now. I heard alot of developers on youtube say never use inline styles but how can you not learn bootstrap, its awesome. so i was wondering:
is bootstrap a useful tool for employment.
Does it make you a better hire or does it matter.
or is it frowned upon since its so awesome it feels like cheating
any input would be cool as i just used all i had :thumbsup:

Learning sequence

Knowing how to use Bootstrap is a definite plus. It’s still a very popular framework. It does a lot of the thinking and grunt work for you. That said, you still want to have a good grasp on CSS without a framework. This way, you are better able to customize your page.

These are two completely different things. Don’t use inline styles - EVER - but totally use Bootstrap, if you want.

I doubt that any potential employer is going to look at your resume, see “Bootstrap” in your list of skills, and start jumping up and down on their bed, squealing with excitement. Like any other framework or library you learn, it’s not likely going to be the key to you getting a job anywhere. However, like any other framework or library you learn, Bootstrap makes use of concepts and conventions that you’ll see all over web development, so knowing Bootstrap does tell others that you have a grasp of some fundamental vocabulary which is common in front end programming. This makes it valuable to learn.

The main reason you should learn Bootstrap (or Foundation, or any other CSS framework) is so you can build the FreeCodeCamp projects quickly and without having to worry about much about the style. Don’t expect yourself to be a CSS wizard. Focus on the JavaScript.

thanks for clearing up the inline styles and bootstraps two different things because i always felt guilty about using it. I was just curious which do professionals prefer CSS or bootstrap. I think CSS shows alot more knowledge than just class names of bootstraps but I’m a novice and I like what @Randallfine said about calling it grunt work. Grunt work is probably all I’m doing when I make a page responsive with CSS width: %; but its good hands on knowledge and definitely something i will look to evolve away from and into bootstrap.

Hello! I always see posts like this, not only here in FCC, but also in front-end communities. In my opinion, frameworks are reality and make you produce faster. Obviously, to be a better developer, you should learn how to build things from scratch, but Bootstrap can obviously save a lot of time. This is particularly important if you are willing to find a real dev job, where you’ll have to deliver real projects in short periods of time. So, study the foundations of CSS and HTML to be able to use not only bootstrap, but any framework that cross your path. (So answering your question: yay!).

ps: never use inline CSS, this is a really bad practice and will make your code look way worse.

hahaha, love your response. So unique and original. I guess where its a HUGE rule not to use inline CSS that it makes me feel so guilty having a bunch of classes in an element tag. And thanks, I’ve been looking up bootstrap classes all day!!

Having many classes is not considered a problem by most people. What is commonly referred to as inline CSS is actual CSS code in a style attribute inside the HTML, like this:

<h1 style="color:blue;margin-left:30px;">This is a heading.</h1>

The reason almost everybody strongly discourages this is that it pretty much goes against the raison d’être of CSS. It mixes content with presentation, styles are not reusable, and it is difficult to maintain.
Having many classes can, quite contrariwise, often be a sign of well organized, reusable CSS.

I think you are getting somewhat confused about classes, css, bootstrap, etc. The above posts pointed out very well that using classes in not using inline elements. Keep in mind that Bootstrap is nothing more than css that is already written for you. (And it is written by Twitter… so yes, it is very good css…)

As a beginner, bootstrap is a - yay! When you get started, you should be able to start building things almost immediately. If you ignore bootstrap like some people do, you end up spending many long hours trying to implement basic things like containers, rows, and responsive media queries that Bootstrap already has. So, I say definitely start out with some Bootstrap (although you should at least know the rudiments of CSS).

As a intermediate developer, Bootstrap is a - meh. To many people who started off with Bootstrap become attached to it - so much to the point that they would not be able to build a decent looking site without it. This is a big problem, because just adding class names is great at first, but when you get older, its time to set down the baby bottle and pick up a fork.

As a professional developer, Bootstrap is a - YAY!!! Once you can build a basic site, and you understand how Bootstrap works “under the hood”, its potential shines. When you get a job, you can build a site much faster with Bootstrap than someone who does it all himself. A site that might take you 20 hours to build vanilla, could be built in about 5. You now how more time to get more jobs == more money.

Bootstrap is definitely something you should know. So is jQuery. Some people try to reinvent the wheel when they start out and do everything themselves. You don’t have to be that person, but you don’t have to be the guy either who has been programming for over a year and still relies on Bootstrap for all his sites.