Budget App Confusion

I passed the challenge even though one of the tests (test_create_spend_chart) fails. I can’t figure out the problem with the formatting, but when I ran the code in the challenge solution link, it passed…What’s up?

Your project link(s)

solution: https://replit.com/@CarolMurphy/boilerplate-budget-app#test_module.py

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.110 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Budget App

Link to the challenge:

For python projects, project page doesn’t run tests. It’s expected to submit projects, after all tests passes from the tests file.

As for the chart, I haven’t looked too close, but there seem to be something not right with calculating percents. The example run from main.py has 100% for Food, while other categories also had withdrawals. Similarly the case from the tests, first category has incorrectly 100%.

Here is the auto-highlighting of the error:

- 100|     
+ 100|          
?          +++++
-  90|     
+  90|          
?          +++++
-  80|     
+  80|          
?          +++++
-  70|     
+  70|    o     
?         +++++
-  60|     
+  60|    o     
?         +++++
-  50|     
+  50|    o     
?         +++++
-  40|     
+  40|    o     
?         +++++
-  30|     
+  30|    o     
?         +++++
-  20|     
+  20|    o  o  
?         +++++
-  10| o   
+  10|    o  o  
?      +++   ++
-   0| o   
+   0| o  o  o  
?         +++++

So it’s a bit hard to read. The test-case uses first the actual chart (-), then the expected chart (+) and points out differences with (?).
First up looks like you are missing spaces, propably forgot to add " " if there is no “o”.
Second is… dunno looks like your chart only contains a bar for “business” while the other two are at 0. The markers can be a bit irritating here it seems, but it’s actually easy to see that the red-marked chart contains only two points which doesn’t exactly add up to 100% :wink:

Thanks guys! I couldn’t figure out why a failed would let me pass, now I know why. And it was a spacing issue that took me forever to resolve, but I found it. Reading the “hint” given by the test suite is a skill I need to develop further. I actually went in and tried changing the expected string in the test suite to get it to pass before the light bulb went off. Well, on, actually.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.