Build A Survey Form - My Solution

Hi here is my solution for the survey form. I am sure I could have grouped things together (there is quite a bit of markup and maybe divs could have been better utilized?)and added a bit more styling.

Question.
Is there a way to have a input and image side by side? As you might do in using flexbox? I know inputs are inline items but I am not sure there is a way to play around with the layout a bit. I’m still a very much a beginner, but it was something that crossed my mind.

How did everyone else find this? I found it fairly time consuming and I had to look up many times how to do something. I do think this course would benefit in not putting the projects at the end, but throughout the course instead.

Oh and one more thing.
At what point should we start putting things on GitHub?
Are these challenges worth putting on?

1 Like

Hi @Whistler1 !

I think your page looks good.

Building your first form can be tricky.
You might consider taking one section of it and trying to refactor it without as many divs and li tags.

This could be one example.

<div class="flex">
    <label for="name" id="name-label">Name
      <input type="text" class="personal-info__data" id="name" name="name" placeholder="Name" required>
    </label>

<label for="email" id="email-label">Email
      <input type="email" class="personal-info__data" id="email" name="email" placeholder="Email@" required>
    </label>

<label for="number" id="number-label">Age
      <input type="number" class="personal-info__data" id="number" name="age" min="1" max="115" placeholder="25" required>
    </label>
  </div>
.flex {
  display:flex;
  flex-direction:column;
}

Just a thought :grinning:

You could have a container for the inputs and then place that input container and image inside a div and use display:flex;

The projects are meant to be way more time consuming than the challenges.
So that is completely normal.

The new version of the curriculum will replace the challenges with mini projects followed by the 5 certification projects at the end.

I don’t see anything wrong with learning git and github now.
That will give you plenty of practice to start working with version control and get familiar with github.

There are plenty of great resources to start learning git.

I don’t see anything wrong with putting your beginner projects on github.

When you are ready to start looking for jobs then you can choose to display only your top repos on your profile page.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the links. My limited knowledge of Github atm is just forking then submitting to a project (no where near this myself yet) So ill have to delve deeper into this. As for uloading and organizing my own work I am a bit clueless.

Awesome news about the structure of FCC, it should really help the flow, I found I had to take another course to be able to make the most of this one for the second project (so I am not wasting to much time and to help with better understanding of layout and responsiveness) I will probably keep having a few courses on the go just to make the best of this one as so much has been forgotten after so many tutorials.
The format should make a world of difference for future learners.

I had a look on the discord server, and it seems to be lacking channels for the different courses that FCC offers, including a separate solution section for each channel.
This could greatly improve communication as people working on the same challenges could chat, and then if there was another section or general html/css or dev feeback, more experienced users could more effectively connect.
Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the flex tip. I did try this but I must have had a a div open or something as it didn’t work. Good to know it should if wrapped in a block element.

Side note: generally lots of small channels actually drives down engagement on a chat server so dt was an intentional decision to have a small number of rather active channels.

Thanks for the reply, I use another discord for another course where there were some channels for the specific courses and found it worked really well! Everyone chatting every day and posting questions or solutions and generally keeping each other motivated in real time.
I do agree too many would be counter productive however.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.