Build a world cup database

Hello,

I created database world cup and the table games. However, the run does not seem to recognize my table. Did I do something wrong?

edit: @moT01 and colleagues, please help. I dont know what is the error. All expected output is produce d correctly with my code, still the “Run” wont let me pass.

thank you for your help.

Sorry for your troubles @NazaLearn, that looks like it should pass that test. I’m not sure what the problem is. If you share a dump of your database, I can take a look - use the command in the instructions to create it.

Hello moT01,

you can check my github

please tell me if you need the dump being written here.
appreciate your help very much.

I’m not sure if those files in your repo are up to date - but when I rebuilt database using your dump, some of the database related tests passed - including the one you outlined. After I added your insert_data.sh script, then those tests failed. The script is giving an error, which is causing all the tests to fail. Here’s what I see when I run it:
Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 11.28.45 AM

If you comment out the two lines in your script that use that COPY command, the database related tests will pass again. Is that script working when you run it? I would just complete the script so it works, and then the tests won’t error out and should pass again.

I can also look into fixing up the tests so that they don’t all fail when a script errors out like that.

Hi moT01,

Sorry I missed the .csv files. I have added them in my repo. If you still have time to test it again, I would be very grateful.

I’m still seeing the same error: COPY: command not found

So you are not seeing that error and the script is working for you? Did you change anything to make that work or anything like that?

Hello moT01,

Sorry if it took so long answering your question. I needed to drop the table and recreate it again to make sure I know what I am having. Yes, I receive the same error message as you. However, this error message seems does not have effect with the insertion process. When I run the insert_data.sh, I receive the error message but I can confirm that the data is populated accordingly. Could you please check the record in your table? If I am right, the record should now doubled, tripled or quadrupled depends on how many you run the insert_data.sh.

K, I played with it a little more. You are right, the data is being inserted. What’s happening is that bash is trying to execute the result of those queries. If I put the result of the psql commands into variables:
Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 3.00.23 PM
and echo them:
Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 3.01.39 PM
You can see the result of running the psql commands. Bash is trying to execute COPY, that’s where that error comes from. Adding those variables like I did will stop bash from trying to run COPY.

After that, the tests still don’t pass. You are entering data into the wrong columns - if you fix that, I think they will pass.

The command the test runs is ./insert_data.sh test - which will use that other PSQL variable which connects to the test database. The test database has the columns and tables expected - e.g. winner_id and opponent_id, etc. So if I run the test command, I see the error of your script trying to insert data into columns that don’t exist over there:
Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 3.04.43 PM

I think that might be enough info to help you get passed these errors and bugs. Let me know if you are still stuck. Again, I will try to improve the messages and tests here - but for now, you are going to have to use the existing tests.

I understand . Thank you for digging it further. I will change the appriach according to your explanation. Have a good weekend.

Hello @moT01,

I just have another question. I deleted the database “worldcup” and not even begin yet with creating tables. When pressing the button “Run”, at least I should pass the first requirement, right? the problem here, is I still cannot get pass the first requirement. When trying to create a new database, postgress is telling that the database is already exists. Do you know what cause this issue?
Thank you for your help.

[I created database world cup and the table games. However, the run does not seem to recognize my table. Did I do something wrong?=“NazaLearn, post:1, topic:544435, full:true”]
Hello @NazaLearn,

I had the same problem I solve it by saving the insert result in a variable and the echo it, following a suggestion from @moT01 that explain something similar.
It is posible that test need the result to check against the test. I not sure, just guessing.
I see this is a few months old post but I hope this can help you or others with a similar problem.

regards.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.