Building a complete web app without a backend developer

Hello people,
I’m a frontend developer, I can build stuff with html/css/js/react/vue

I want to build a personal project and I have a UI/UX engineer friend by my side
The only problem is that it’s just the two of us, we don’t have a backend guy to do the server side logic and database stuff

The project is a quiz maker, not too complex at least at this early phase

What would you suggest? (was eyeballing something like Firebase but I’m not sure)

Probably Firebase, which is a PaaS (platform-as-a-service) which will allow you to leverage API’s in place of an actual back-end to save data to something like Firebase’s Firestore.

Being an API means you can do minimal work to get things going, but have very limited flexibility down the line. Along with this, Firestore is a pay as you go model, so if you do stuff wrong, such as loading everything all the time, you could end up paying tons of money. As such be sure to stay on the free-tier so you don’t get overcharged until you need to get paid for stuff or go live after testing everything.

Firebase also provides a number of other features that you might want/need, but again all of these features are vastly more limited than what you’d get if you built your own back-end, so you more have to work with the platform, than having the platform work for you.

If your just learning, its a fun way to prototype which is one of the main use-cases for Firebase as a whole since you can hit the ground running.

Good luck, keep building!

@samicodesit What is it exactly that you need to do on the backend? You might be able to get away with not using a backend. I saw a web project that appeared to have a backend but it did not, everything was done using Javascript. Depending on what you want to do a library might be able to perform the functions you need. I had a project that needed some backend functionality and I found a library to take care of it. Without the real backend I was able to host the website on one of the free hosting platforms, there was no need for a VPS (virtual private server).