Can anyone here review my resume ? I won't reveal my true identity

I’ve been applying for jobs and I am getting really frustrated since I am rejected each time I apply. Perhaps there is something wrong with my resume

Update. Here is my link to my resume.https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NxGWq3jsTkMRiJS42KPKOcAYpRC1-B6vjtMPOjTRZi0/edit

you can always blank out details that would reveal your identity and show that version

I am afraid that if on the internet you ask if you can ask something you will not get many answers
the forum is here to ask questions, if you want an answer ask the question to that answer, not if you can ask the question

1 Like

Share your cv and describe the job positions you are looking for. I’m sure the community will give some suggestions.

Hard to give you advice since i dont know how you are applying for jobs

I updated my OP that includes the link to my resume.

It’s not accessible for people without login/password.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NxGWq3jsTkMRiJS42KPKOcAYpRC1-B6vjtMPOjTRZi0/edit Is it accessible now?

I updated my link again to googledocs. link to my resume should be viewable.

Dtich the Skills Software section. Instead, make sure you put brief but detailed project descriptions in addition to the Utilized part. In fact, I would rename Utilized to Technology Used (or something like that). The projects you want to highlight should have a url to the project and to the github applicable repositories.

Since none of your existing employment experience has anything to do with software development, then you should put your Projects section first and Employment section second. Also, I would shorten the employment descriptions to allow more room for the Projects.

Also, your Objective statement (if you want to use it) needs to be more narrow. You have an and/or in there. Software developer is generic and cyber security is a specialty field.

If you graduated in 2010, then I would state the degree (B.S. A.S.) and if you had a decent grade point average, then I would add that in also. Just like the Employment section, you need to move it down below the Software Projects section.

Definitely make sure your resume is no more than a single page, since your experience level is low.

3 Likes

I updated my resume. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NxGWq3jsTkMRiJS42KPKOcAYpRC1-B6vjtMPOjTRZi0/edit What do you think now?

Your projects need descriptions and since you have stated in your Objective that you are pursuing a full stack position, then I suggest the majority of the projects you list better be full stack applications.

2 Likes

what do you think of the descriptions I added? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NxGWq3jsTkMRiJS42KPKOcAYpRC1-B6vjtMPOjTRZi0/edit?fbclid=IwAR1KlJhq9xJ9AP4RQ5LusKploAqjdrkpdjq-vaGLDQe-mcVH_EdlMP0ahcI

1 Like

I would give more details using applicable technology terms (to be caught by resume scanners). Also, you need to link to live projects. If that is not possible, then the README.md files for each project (you should have those regardless) should be very well written and describe/show examples of the UI and any data displayed to the user. Basically, the README.md file would read like an tutorial on how to use the app and what screens the user would see and describe what they do. If the employer wants to understand how you did it, the code will be reviewed.

Always assume the first person to look at the resume knows little to nothing about code.

Since you are asking for a review here, I am going to give my honest feedback. When I look at the 4 projects you put on your resume, none of them indicate you know how to implement a full stack application in my opinion. I suggest creating at least one original full stack application and if you want to include a highly polished front-end site and a complicated server app, then that could possibly work. Ideally, I would rather see 3 full stack apps.

I think if you can take the backend of the Python book database and create a front-end SPA to interact with it, that would be great. Also, you will want to rename the Weather project to a Wikipedia project (because that is what it really is).

Lastly, I suggest creating a project that uses either Vue or React for the client instead of relying on jQuery (which is not really used anymore for new projects). I would rather see a Vanilla JS project than to see jQuery used.

3 Likes

I fully agree to what Randell said, I think that is very good advice.

I’ll give some feedback from my experience of reading and judging over 100 CVs and conducting over 50 technical interviews last year. These numbers in the 10s and 100s are common at big tech companies.

Before I go into details, I want to emphasize that I’m going to critique the presentation & communication style of your CV. This is not a comment on you as a person or your skills, personality etc.

My first piece of advice is: Avoid copy-paste and sentence templates. For example the below quote from your objective statement (highlight added by me):

motivated self taught web developer and a fast learner who can transition easily into any new work environment

You mention 3 skills: motivation, quick learning, adaptability. Those sound nice but I don’t see evidence to support those claims. (Seemingly) empty claims are a bad sign.

Even if you don’t have professional experience in software development you may have examples of motivation, quick learning or adaptability in other contexts. Did you run a club in school/university? Did you volunteer for something? Have you been in a challenging work situation that you had to adapt to? If so giving a concise account (2-3 sentences) shows that you are not just making things up and it is a great entry point for conversation during an interview.

Secondly: You have projects to show off what you learned - that is great. Linking to the source code is also great (I always look at source code that candidates submit to gain an understanding of their development style & practices).
However with study/learning projects I would like to see them deployed as a fully functional application/demo (e.g. on heroku). Showing off a web application, even if it is just a prototype, will convince the technical reviewer of your CV high confidence in your skill - it shows that you learned a lot (motivated, quick learner).

Lastly the visual presentation is a bit bland & loveless (maybe some of it got lost when you transferred it to google docs).
This may seem a bit nitpicky but it has a big impact.

Typography: You use more different font sizes than necessary. You mix serif and sans serif fonts. There’s a gray background behind the motivational statement. Maybe go easy on the bold type. I suggest you keep it simple: 1 font, 2 font sizes, user bold rarely.

Visual noise & white space: Your CV is visually busy. In addition to simplified typography adding some white space to visually group sections that belong together makes it a lot easier read. Especially When the reader comes back to the CV to quickly find a piece of information that she remembers from the first read through (that happens 2-10 times for every CV that I receive)

Hyperlinks: You are sending a digital document to apply for a position in tech. Nobody will type out the urls you put on the CV. They will click it. Therefore I suggest put in clickable links behind descriptive titles:

Chat Application
Technologies: Python Socket (IP/TCP) Programming, Git
Description: Allows users to communicate with each other via a server and a client

Or if you have a functional demo of it

Chat Application (GitHub, Live Demo)
Technologies: Python Socket (IP/TCP) Programming, Git
Description: Allows users to communicate with each other via a server and a client

This got a bit longer than I intended, I hope it’s not too much :grimacing:
Moreover I hope it makes sense and is applicable.
:v:

3 Likes

Not long at all. I appreciate people taking their time out to FREELY provide constructive criticism of my resume.

2 Likes

Can one diploy heroku on your github account?

There are several resources on freecodecamp on how to deploy to heroku - it depends on your application technology and needs (databases etc).

See here

This is great i have benefitted in reading this too

2 Likes

Just a quick addition: There’s This 1h interactive course on UI design fundamentals that covers whitespace, visual hierarchy and typography - You can apply That to a CV
(saw it on the free code camp newsletter)

2 Likes