Certification course- Python, ML

Hello,
Can someone please recommend to me any certification course (paid or free) related to machine learning, which is recognized by companies? I know about some standard platforms like Coursera, EDX, LinkdIn, etc which provide certificates. But please recommend me some exact course :slight_smile:

I am an electrical engineer. I do not have extensive experience in programming languages or computer science. I have learnt python and some things about ML by myself by doing mini projects. So, i thought by doing some certification course will strengthen my profile to work in ML areas professionally.
Thanks!

Best rgards,
Jay.

There aren’t any certifications (that I’ve ever heard of) that I think would be “recognized” in the way you mean. There isn’t an industry certification process like there are in some other fields.

freeCodeCamp has started a Python curriculum, but it’s in the early stages and it expects you to already be familiar with at least one programming language.

It has been several years since I learned Python, but I really liked both “Learn Python The Hard Way” and “Dive into Python”. I’ve also heard really good things about the No Starch Press books like “Automate the Boring Stuff With Python”. Another option is open university stuff. A lot of schools teach Python as a beginner language and many big name schools (Stanford, MIT, Harvard, etc) have filmed their lectures and have the complete university course for free online.

If you’ve already been learning by building small projects, you may not need much in the way of coursework (although it rarely hurts). If your goal is to strengthen your resume, then I really recommend starting to look for open source projects that you can participate in. Even if you aren’t able to contribute much besides small changes for a while, this will actually be much more interesting to employers than an online “certification” program.

1 Like

Hi ArielLeslie,

I heard about " open source projects" and “bug bounty programs”. I had a feeling that these things are for those who are more or less experts. Thats why i was thinking to get some certificates and write it down in the resume- maybe it was a quick fix approach.!!

But thanks for the reply and your suggestions. I will check for some “open source projects” and the courses you mentioned.

Different open source projects are varying levels of beginner-friendly, but if you’re motivated and brave you can dive into a project and start participating. Lots of people first get started by making improvements to the documentation of a tool that they use, for example. Some projects will label certain issues as something like “beginner friendly,” “good first issue,” or “low hanging fruit”.

My recommendation is to try to contribute to open source projects which you are a user of. For example, if someone is using freeCodeCamp to learn web development then contributing to freeCodeCamp is an awesome way to get real world experience. If there is a tool or library that you use that is written in Python, ideally related to ML, then I’d suggest looking at their repository.

Bug bounty programs are a whole different category. I’ve never tried to participate in anything like that because finding vulnerabilities isn’t my area of expertise or interest.

Hi Hi ArielLeslie,

Do you mind if i request you to share the link of some of the " open source projects"?

There are literally millions of open source software projects. I know that there are websites that have good advice for finding a good, beginner-friendly project, but you’d have to google for them. But I suggest first looking at tools and libraries that you use and seeing if they have a public repository and how active it is.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.